KL Report


The government on Tuesday extended the deadline of a probe it had ordered in June 23 Sopore killing.

Earlier the deputy commissioner Baramulla had sought extension in the deadline given to him to submit the probe report in Sopore firing incident in which a youth was killed and four others were injured allegedly after security forces resorted indiscriminate firing on June 23 this year.

Talking to KNS, the divisional commissioner Kashmir Shalinder Kumar said that the DC Baramulla had asked for an extension in the deadline which was granted.

A youth was killed and four others were injured on June 23 when security forces allegedly opened fire to disperse a protest rally following an encounter in Sopore town of Baramulla district. A senior police officer had told KNS that group of youth had started pelting stones at security forces, who returning from Krankishivan Colony of Sopore after accomplishing an counter insurgency operation in which a top Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant outfit was killed.

Security forces had later allegedly opened fire to disperse the protesting youth, resulting in injuries to five of them, the sources said.

One of the injured; Arshad Ahmad Shah son of Abdul Aziz Shah Resident of Naseem Bagh succumbed to injuries while being taken to a hospital. Rest of the four who sustained injuries in the firing were identified as Naseer Ahmad Beigh son of Ghulam Mohiuddin a resident of Jamia Kadeem, Shahid Ahmad son of Kasim Ahangar a resident of Naseem Bagh, Ilyas Shalla son of Attaullah Shalla resident of Shalpora and Abid Gojri resident of Sopore. The police statement issued that time had stated that after the completion of an operation in Baba Raza Krankshvan Sopore in which one Pakistani militant got killed; Operation parties while withdrawing from the area were pelted with stones by some miscreants. “The mob swelled and attempted to set at fire one security armored vehicle. Security forces used non-lethal weapons but the situation could not be controlled. Resultantly few shots were fired in which 4 people got injured. The deputy commissioner Baramulla was later ordered to submit his findings within 15 days.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here