SRINAGAR: The Indian Army and Jammu and Kashmir Police on Sunday safely destroyed 42 unexploded artillery shells fired by Pakistani forces during recent cross-border shelling in the border district of Poonch.
According to a statement from Defence Public Relations Officer Lt Colonel Suneel Bartwal, the operation was conducted in the border areas of Jhullas, Salotri, Dharati, and Salani. These unexploded shells had been lying dangerously close to civilian habitations since the latest round of hostilities.
“These shells, remnants of recent cross-border shelling, posed a serious threat to the lives and safety of local residents,” Bartwal told reporters. “The operation was carried out with utmost precision, adhering to all standard safety protocols to prevent any risk to civilian life or property.”
Bomb disposal teams from the Army, in close coordination with local police units, ensured the complete neutralisation of all ordnance without incident. No injuries or damage to property were reported during the operation.
The latest effort is part of a wider clearance drive launched by Army engineers across the border districts of Jammu, Rajouri, and Poonch. Over the past five days, security forces have successfully defused more than 80 unexploded shells, including six in Pargwal (Jammu), 19 in Rajouri, 42 in Poonch, and 12 along the International Border.
Meanwhile, Jammu Divisional Commissioner Ramesh Kumar visited the Mendhar subdivision on Sunday to assess the situation in shelling-affected areas and assure affected families of government support. Accompanied by Poonch Deputy Commissioner Vikas Kundal and other senior officials, Kumar interacted with residents in several villages and reviewed ongoing relief measures.
During his visit, he called on the bereaved family of a woman who lost her life in the recent shelling and assured them of swift compensation and further assistance. “The administration stands with the affected families, and all necessary relief and rehabilitation steps will be taken without delay,” Kumar said.
The cross-border shelling, which escalated earlier this month in Poonch and adjoining sectors, has led to heightened security activity along the Line of Control (LoC). While the Army has remained on high alert, civilian areas are now under constant surveillance for leftover explosive threats.
Officials said the clearance operations will continue in the coming days to eliminate any remaining risks posed by unexploded munitions.















