SRINAGAR: In view of deaths falling from trees, the Jammu and Kashmir State Emergency Operation Centre has issued fresh norms for farmers for walnut harvesting season.
In a statement State Emergency Operation Centre said that it is becoming an occupational hazard for the traditional Walnut farmers.
“If precautions are not taken; falling from height can cause serious spinal injuries,” it reads.
“General public, particularly the Walnut farmers are requested to kindly adhere to the following safety-tips, while climbing trees for harvesting Walnuts,” it added.
- a) Only experienced and trained persons should climb the walnut trees during harvest.
- b) Safety measures should be taken when climbing a tree; your life is more precious.
- c) Use helmet and tie a safety harnesses rope, properly anchored, to break the fall.
- d) Ensure that you use a sturdy and durable thick rope.
- e) Use tall ladders to climb the trees.
- f) Wear non-slip boots.
- g) Check weather forecast by IMD before planning for the harvest.
- h) Remove logs, stones, boulders, etc around the base of the tree to reduce risk.
- i) Use safety nets or thick stacks of hay, around the tree, to prevent injury in case of accidental fall.
- j) Ensure a stable and firm position before beating the Walnuts.
- k) Learn basic first-aid from the nearest Civil Defence Unit or Health Centre.
- l) In case anyone is injured, administer immediate first aid and carry the injured on hard-wooden planks/hard-stretcher to the nearest Health centre.
- m) Mishandling the injured can cause damages, which can be fatal.
- n) Carry your cell phone with you to call for assistance in case of an accident.
- o) Call 102 for immediate medical assistance/ambulance service.
- a) Avoid climbing Walnut trees, instead use long ladders or long wooden poles to beat the Walnuts.
- b) Do not climb the Walnut tree in wet weather.
- c) Do not climb the trees bare-footed or with slippers.
- d) Never go alone to harvest Walnuts, when you plan to climb the tree.
- e) Do not use long metal poles to harvest the trees, as accidental contact with electric lines can result in electrocution, serious injury or death.
- f) Don’t wear loose clothing that can get entangled in branches.
- g) Avoid any kind of distractions, when you climb the tree, especially cell phone.
- h) Minors and inexperienced persons should never be allowed to climb Walnut trees.