Iran Warns Neighbours Against Joining US Economic Pressure

   

SRINAGAR: Iran’s new top security official has warned neighbouring countries against cooperating with a fresh US campaign aimed at putting further economic pressure on Tehran, saying Iran would retaliate against countries that assist what it described as an economic war.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp
Mohsen Rezaei
Mohsen Rezaei

Mohsen Rezaei, the newly appointed secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, issued the warning in an interview with Iranian state broadcaster IRIB, his most extensive public remarks since taking charge of the country’s top security body.

“If Trump wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner,” Rezaei said, referring to US President Donald Trump.

He warned that Iran could target oil-shipping routes emerging from the Persian Gulf if neighbouring countries joined Washington’s efforts to isolate Tehran economically. Such countries, he said, would be treated as enemies and their interests could become targets.

Trump has in recent days threatened to intensify economic pressure on Iran, promising what he described as an “unprecedented” campaign of economic warfare and isolation. Iran has faced extensive US sanctions for years.

Rezaei also said Iran was continuing discussions with Oman over arrangements concerning the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial global energy route. He indicated that fees could be imposed for passage through the waterway.

He further warned Washington against sending additional military personnel to the region, arguing that recent conflict had increased global nuclear insecurity by demonstrating that participation in international monitoring mechanisms did not necessarily protect countries from military attacks.

Egypt has stepped up diplomatic efforts to bring Iran and the United States back to negotiations aimed at resolving the conflict.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty held talks with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi, with discussions focusing on developments in the conflict, the prospects for renewed negotiations and the ongoing Iranian-Omani contacts.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said Araghchi outlined Tehran’s assessment of the situation, the course of negotiations and the challenges facing diplomatic efforts.

Araghchi also held a separate telephone conversation with Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, as Tehran continued diplomatic contacts with regional countries.

Iran and Iraq said some vessels carrying Iraqi oil had been allowed to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, although neither side provided details about the number of ships involved or the terms of the arrangements.

Iraqi President Nizar Amidi said there was facilitation for some Iraqi oil shipments passing through the strategic waterway. He noted that Iraq does not have a national carrier for transporting its oil.

Iran’s state news agency IRNA separately reported that a number of Iraqi oil tankers had received permission to transit the strait.

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy corridors, carrying large volumes of crude oil, natural gas and other commodities.

An Israeli drone strike on a vehicle in the southwestern Syrian village of Beit Jin wounded one person on Saturday, according to Syria’s state news agency SANA.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry condemned the attack, saying several civilians were injured and describing the strike as a violation of Syria’s sovereignty.

The Israeli military said it had targeted a person it described as a terrorist who was in the final stages of preparing attacks, without providing further details.

Israel has carried out numerous airstrikes in Syria since the ouster of former President Bashar Assad in late 2024, saying the operations are aimed largely at preventing military equipment and capabilities from falling into the hands of groups operating in the country.

A fresh disagreement has emerged over the status of the Golan Heights after US Ambassador to Turkey and special envoy Tom Barrack said Israel continued to occupy the territory in violation of United Nations resolutions.

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz rejected the remarks, saying Barrack’s comments contained inaccuracies and contradicted the position of the Trump administration.

Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria during the 1967 war and annexed the territory in 1981. The United Nations continues to regard the Golan Heights as occupied Syrian territory.

In 2019, Trump recognised Israeli sovereignty over the territory, reversing decades of US policy on the issue.

French President Emmanuel Macron and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are expected to discuss measures to reduce reliance on the Strait of Hormuz during the Saudi leader’s two-day visit to Paris beginning Sunday.

Officials said possible measures include expanding trade through Omani ports outside the Persian Gulf, increasing pipeline capacity in Saudi Arabia and other countries, and developing new rail connections.

France and Saudi Arabia have established a joint task force focused on strengthening energy and logistics links between the Middle East and Europe.

The task force is expected to meet at ministerial level on Monday to identify key infrastructure projects, explore financing arrangements and determine areas in which French companies could participate.

An Israeli strike on the backyard of a house in central Gaza killed one Palestinian and injured another on Saturday, according to health officials at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital.

The Israeli military said the strike targeted Sharif al-Hasanat, whom it identified as a Hamas commander involved in preparing attacks and efforts to rebuild the group’s underground infrastructure.

The strike came amid continuing diplomatic efforts to revive a ceasefire, with a US negotiator reportedly urging Israel to reduce military operations while attempts were made to make progress towards an agreement.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here