23 universities, 279 technical institutes in mainland India are fake, according to reports.
Delhi tops the list with 66 fake colleges — the highest for any state in India – offering engineering and other technical courses without the regulator’s permission. There are 279 such technical institutes in mainland India.
Simply put, these schools don’t have the authority to grant degrees. Education certificates issued by such colleges are nothing but a piece of paper.
The Indian Capital city New Delhi also has seven of the 23 fake universities, the University Grants Commission has said.
In an annual review, the UGC and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) last month put out a list of such fake institutes on their websites, warning students ahead of the new academic session that kicks in next month.
“We send the list of unapproved and unregulated technical institutions to concerned state authorities for taking appropriate action against such institutions,” an official said.
Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Maharasthra also have a sizable number of fake technical institutes.
To ensure students don’t apply to such colleges, the technical education regulator, the AICTE, has also issued notices to these schools for not taking its approval.
“Public notices are also published in newspapers cautioning the students not to take admission in such unapproved institutions,” the official said.
Menace of fake institutes in India is widespread and is getting increasingly lucrative, as more students look for higher education to improve their job prospects.
Here is a list of the 23 fake universities in the country:
1) Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2) Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
3) United Nations University, Delhi.
4) Vocational University, Delhi.
5) ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110 008.
6) Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
7) Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
8) Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
9) St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
10) Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
11) Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
12) Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta – 700063
13) Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
14) Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
15) Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
16) National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
18) Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
19) Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
20) Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
21) Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
22) Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23) North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha.
Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP – the matter is subjudice before the District Judge – Lucknow.
The details of fake technical institutes are available on the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in and AICTE website www.aicte-india.org.