At least ten houses were gutted in a major fire that broke out in a congested locality in Downtown Srinagar on Monday night.
Fire broke out at a house in congested Sheikh Colony, Kane-Devar area of Hawal Srinagar around 11:10 pm and within no time engulfed some adjoining dwellings, reports said.
Fire tenders were rushed to the scene and the blaze was put out after nearly two hours.
The officials of Fire and Emergency Services said, “We pressed 13 fire tenders and six pumps into action to control the blaze and managed to avert a major tragedy as the area is thickly populated and the lanes and by-lanes are narrow.”
Police said that during preliminary investigations it was known that the fire sparked due to a short circuit. “We are still assessing the damage and the fire was caused due to short circuit,” a police official at Nowhatta police station said.
No loss of life or injury was reported in incident.