Shopian Attacks: Hizb Claims Responsibility



Militant outfit Hizbul Mujhadeen Thursday claimed the responsibility of Shopian attacks government forces, in which according to the outfit two troopers were killed and two others were injured.

A patrolling party from 62 RR came under heavy fire from suspected militants near Burbugh Shopian during the late hours on Wednesday. The patrolling party was on way to Shopian from Imam Sahab. The suspected militants indiscriminately fired on the troopers that resulted in the serious injuries of a trooper who according to Defence sources was immediately rushed to 92 Base Army hospital Badamibagh for treatment.

Locals alleged that Army personnel went on a rampage during the cordon and search operation, a charge refuted by the Chinar Corps spokesperson. Reports said that soon after the attack, reinforcement was called and Army, CRPF and SOG Shopian jointly cordoned off the Burbugh village.

“The search operation continued till 8 on Thursday morning. People were directed to come out from their houses and were made to assemble at one place. During Sehri time, some Army personnel went on a rampage after few locals demanded that search operation should be called off and they should be allowed to take Sehri,” locals told CNS adding that few youth were severely roughed by the government forces, prompting people to protest in the midst of the night.

Locals said operation concluded at 8 in the morning, however, barely after four hours, forces again cordoned off the area to flush out the militants. “We had again received the inputs about the presence of militants and that is why area was again cordoned off. But no militant was found in the area,” said a police official.

Suspected militants again attacked a police party outside court complex in Shopian district, in which a police constable Muhammad Ashraf Akhoon was critically injured. Station House Officer Shopian Police Station Javid Ahmed said that injured cop was shifted to District Hospital Pulwama where from he was referred to SKIMS Srinagar. “The cop has received serious bullet injury,” he said.

Soon after the attack, Army personnel from 44 RR, SOG Shopian and CRPF cordoned off the area to flush out the militants, however, they managed to escape from the spot of incident.

Militant outfit Hizbul Mujhadeen claimed the responsibility of the attack. Burhanuddin, the caller, who claimed to be the Operational Spokesperson of the outfit said that the fighters attacked forces in South Kashmir’s Shopian district killing a trooper and injuring two others. “Deputy Commander Saifullah Khalid appreciated the efforts of  the militants and declared that attacks on Indian forces will be intensified in coming days,” he said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here