Sister of slain Shopian militant injured on Jan 24, succumbs 


A teenage girl, Saima Wani, who was injured in an encounter on January 24 in a Shopian village has succumbed to her injuries on Saturday evening.

As per hospital sources,  the girl Saima Wani (18) daughter of Hilal Ahmad Wani, was on tracheostomy, an incision in the windpipe made to relieve an obstruction to breathing, and she was responding to the treatment.  “Seeing her improving, we shifted her to a general ward yesterday. But unfortunately, she succumbed today. It is difficult for such patients to survive.”

Representational Image

Saima died today after battling for her life for eighteen days on Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of SKIMS Soura.

Regarding another girl Sabreena, the doctor said that she was very much stable.

On January 24, two local militants were killed in an encounter while civilians, a minor boy Shakir Ahmad Mir died and two girls including the Saima Wani, sister of the deceased militant Sameer Ahmad Wani, were injured at Chaigund, Audoo area of Keegam Shopian. Police said that Shakir and the girls were caught in cross firing.

On Jan 25, Musharaf Fayaz (10) had suffered critical injuries in his head and face after a shell exploded at the encounter site while a group of people were clearing the debris of the house which was razed to the ground by the forces during the gunfight. Musharaf later succumbed on Feb 1 after battling for life at least seven days.

On Jan 27, youth Javed Ahmad Bhat, 20, of Balpora and Suhail Javed Lone, 24, of Rawalpora Shopian died while Rayees Ahmad Ganie of Narpora who was injured on the same day and later succumbed to injuries on Jan 31 after battling for life for the five days at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of SKIMS, Soura. The casualties suffered after army men opened fire upon a group of protesters at Ganapora.

Police have booked an army unit on murder and ‘attempt to murder’ charges over the shooting of civilians while as the government has ordered a magisterial probe into the killings.

Army has claimed they opened fire in “self-defence” after a “mob tried to lynch an officer” during protests.

(with inputs from local news agency, GNS)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here