The army on Friday said the decision to vacate Tosa Maidan firing range lies with the committee constituted by the government.
Talking to media persons here, the GOC 15 Chinar Corps, Lt Gen Subrata Saha, said: “The government has constituted a high level committee in this regard. Any decision by the committee would be taken keeping in mind the interest of nation and people from the security point of view.”
The army has already applied for the extension of the lease. The Chief Secretary led panel so far has not taken any decision on granting extension of lease to the army. The panel, according to reports, is looking for alternative sites. The panel had met on Thursday, reports added.
The GOC also said that the victims of unexploded shells are being compensated by army. “We were saddened by July 17 incident in which Altaf Fayaz was injured. We admitted him in 92 Base Hospital and he was treated free of cost. The army would take care of his studies and other needs,” he said. (GNS)