Police on Tuesday late night issued a following statement regarding the Tral gunfight saying that in Chankitar village, a cordon and search operation was launched by security forces today based on credible inputs about the presence of militants in the area.
“During the search operation, the hiding militants fired on the search party which was retaliated leading to an encounter,” the police spokesman in a statement said.
“In the ensuing encounter so far two dead bodies of the militants have been recovered. They have affiliated with proscribed terror outfit JeM. The identities of the slain militants are being ascertained. Search is still going on in the area,” he said.
“Citizens are once again requested not to venture inside the encounter zone since such an area can prove dangerous due to stray explosive materials. People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosives materials if any,” said police spokesman in a statement.