SRINAGAR: At least 87 people were killed and 78 injured after a United States submarine sank an Iranian naval vessel in the Indian Ocean, Reuters reported on Wednesday.
The frigate, identified as IRIS Dena, a Moudge-class warship of the Iranian Navy, was reportedly attacked just outside Sri Lanka’s territorial waters as it was returning from naval engagements abroad. Reuters, citing sources in Sri Lanka’s navy and defence ministry, reported that at least 101 people were initially listed as missing following the strike.
US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth confirmed the attack during a Pentagon press briefing on Operation Epic Fury, alongside Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine. Hegseth described the Iranian vessel as the Islamic Republic’s “prize ship” and said the strike marked one of the rare instances of a submarine sinking a warship since the Second World War.
According to AFP, IRIS Dena had participated in recent naval exercises in India and had previously taken part in the multilateral MILAN exercise in 2024. It had also been present for the 2026 edition of the exercise before sailing for home waters when it was targeted.
Sri Lankan authorities said rescue operations were under way. Al Jazeera, quoting Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister, reported that around 30 sailors had been rescued from the sinking vessel. One sailor was said to be in a critical condition, while 32 survivors were admitted to Karapitiya Hospital in Galle.
The incident comes amid wider regional conflict. Iran’s Foundation of Martyrs and Veterans Affairs said on Wednesday that at least 1,045 people had been killed in Iran since the outbreak of hostilities. Israeli authorities have reported 11 deaths, while Lebanon’s Health Ministry said more than 50 people had been killed there. Six US troops have also been reported killed.
The situation in the Indian Ocean and surrounding region remains volatile, with diplomatic and military developments being closely monitored by regional governments.















