SRINAGAR: A cow was charred to death while three residential houses and a cowshed were gutted in a fire incident here in Bankoot village of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district on Thursday, rendering at least families homeless.
Quoting an official the news agency KNO reported that the fire broke out from a residential house in the afternoon, which engulfed two more houses and a cowshed in the village.
Fire tenders with the help of locals doused the flames and stopped fire from spreading further, he said.
However, three houses and a cowshed were completely damaged in the incident and property worth lakhs of rupees reduced into ashes, said an official.
The official said that in this regard police station Pathkoot have registered a case, saying that cause of fire is stated to be electric short circuit. “A cow was also charred to death in the incident,” he added.
He identified the victim families as Mohammad Sultan Lone, son of Mohammad Subhan Lone, Abdul Ahad Sheikh, son of Abdul Kamal Sheikh and Abdul Gani Chopan, son of Khaliq Chopan.
The officials from Bankoot Block later visited the spot on and monitored the arrangements made for the affected families.