July 31, 1988: When First Blast Rocked The Srinagar City

KL Report


Haji GroupIt was today on July 31 1988, twenty five years ago that armed struggle against ‘Indian rule’ started in Kashmir. The group of four prominent militant leaders from Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front better known as ‘HAJY Group’ reportedly planted two bombs, one at Golf Course, and another at Telegraph Office Srinagar to send a firm and clear message to the government of India that Kashmiri youth are ready to face them.

“These bombs were planted with an intention to give loud and clear message to government of India that Kashmiri youth are ready to face them. These bombs were not planted to harm anyone these blasts “jolted the establishment and attracted attention of international community towards the long-pending issue,” JKLF leader Javid Ahmed Mir told CNS.

HAJY Group regarded as the first group to start armed struggle in Kashmir was comprising of Ishfaq Majeed Wani, Sheikh Abdul Hamid, Mohammad Yasin Malik and Javid Ahmed Mir. All the four persons had set up ‘Tallah Party in 1980 and later on they founded Islamic Students League in 1984 which gradually turned into Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front.

Apart from the members of HAJY Group, Mushtaq-ul-Islam, Showkat Bakshi, Shakil Bakshi, Irshad Ahmed were the important members of Islamic Students League.

“Sentiments against Indian rule always existed here but people were not giving vent to them. Islamic Students League played a key role in making people aware about the ramifications of Indian rule in Kashmir,” one of the former militant commanders told CNS.

Former Commander who acted as the Publicity Chief of JKLF for quite some time said that it was only after the blast that rocked Srinagar city on 31 July came to know that hundreds of youth have arrived in Valley with weapons to take on to India. “Youth were forced to pick up the gun. All the important members of JKLF were the supporters of Muslim United Front and this party came off with flying colours during 1987 Assembly Elections. Elections were rigged and all the members especially those who later on turned militant commanders were tortured in police stations for none of their fault,” one of the prominent academicians said adding that ‘Armed Struggle’ attracted the attention of world community after so many decades.

“It were two main political parties of the State which forced these youth to cross LoC and take arms training. These youth had earlier shown full faith in democratic set up of India and had supported the candidates of Muslim United Front. Molvi Mohammd Yousf turned into Syed Salahudin, Malik, Mir and others were interrogated in police stations on the behest of political leaders. No political space was given to them and rest is history,” he said.

Recalling the days of torture and injustice, Javid Ahmed Mir said that soon after the elections were rigged in 1987, police raided the houses of Islamic Students league members on the directions of then MLA Batamaloo. “Police during a nocturnal raid dragged the mother of JKLF leader Shiekh Abdul Hamid from her house and detained her at Police Station Sher Gari. We were booked under Public Safety Acts and tortured in detention centres,” Mir said adding that Mohammad Yasin Malik was deliberately provided poisonous food in the jail due to which he lost one heart valve.

Chairman JKLF Mohammad Yasin Malik told CNS that Kashmiri people are peace loving and they never believed in violence. “We were forced to believe that non-violent movement is not an option for we people,” he said even today no political space is being provided to those leaders who struggle peacefully.

The popularity and activities of the HAJY Group were instrumental in bringing thousands of people on roads seeking right to self determination. “The struggle is going on and people yearn for the resolution of Kashmir issue,” one of the separatist leaders said.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here