#KashmirNow: Valley Continues To Be Caged, Curfewed & Disconnected on Day 12



Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp


Srinagar curfewed. (Bilal Bahadur)
Srinagar curfewed. (Bilal Bahadur)

On 12th consecutive day, Kashmir remains caged and crippled as authorities continue to impose curfew while separatists have called for shutdown on Wednesday.

Police said curfew would continue in most parts of Kashmir as precautionary measure to maintain law and order.

“No major clash occurred anywhere in the Valley on Tuesday and the situation remained generally calm,” a senior police officer was quoted as having said.

Given the mass protests following death of militant commander, Burhan Wani, Pakistan is today observing “Black Day” across its boundaries.

After the state government conveyed to the editors of local newspapers through Amitabh Mattoo, Advisor to Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, that there was no ban on publication, the editors on Tuesday sought written assurance from the government to resume publication. Kashmir went without any newspaper for the 5th day running Wednesday.

Kashmir based editors/owners of Newspapers held a protest demonstration in Mushtaq Ali Enclave on Tuesday. (KL Image: Bilal Bahadur)
Kashmir based editors/owners of Newspapers held a protest demonstration in Mushtaq Ali Enclave on Tuesday. (KL Image: Bilal Bahadur)

The editors have said they would meet again on Wednesday afternoon to decide future course of action.

Internet connectivity on all mobile phones remained suspended for the ninth day in the Valley on Wednesday.

Calling facility on mobile phones has also remained suspended during this period except for limited calling facility on post-paid mobile phones provided by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL). This period gave BSNL a chance to boost its network in Kashmir, at least.

After remaining closed because of the killings of three civilians in army firing during protest in Qazigund area, the Sringar-Jammu Highway was restored for limited traffic during the last night.

Srinagar Curfewed

Trucks carrying supplies of essential goods and vehicles carrying Amarnath Yatris, who had been stranded on the highway, were cleared during the night.

Three civilian protesters, including two women, were killed on Monday in army firing when protesters attacked an army patrol party.

The army has regretted the incident and ordered a probe to ascertain whether the standard operating procedure (SOP) was violated by its men in uniform, so that the responsibility is fixed and the guilty are punished.

Meanwhile, train services between Baramulla town in the Valley and Banihal in Jammu region also remained suspended for the 13th day today.

All normal activities of life have been paralysed by the on-going civil uprising that has claimed 46 civilian lives, and two policemen.

Marriages scheduled during this period have been cancelled. The violence started on July 9, a day after militant commander Burhan Wani was killed by forces along with two of his associates in Kokernag area of south Kashmir.

Reports coming from several places said that people have raised black flags as separatists have appealed people to follow Pakistan’s call of ‘Black Day’ today.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here