Kishtwar Gunfight On; Drones, Sniffer Dogs, Choppers Deployed

   

SRINAGAR: An encounter between security forces and militants recommenced in Kishtwar district on Saturday after contact was re-established during a joint counter-terror operation, officials said.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

The exchange of fire began around 5.40 am in the Dolgam area when security forces closed in on suspected militant hideouts following sustained search operations in the region over the past two weeks, they said.

According to officials, the militants opened fire upon spotting the approaching troops, prompting retaliatory action. The operation was continuing, with additional forces moved into the area to strengthen the cordon and prevent any escape.

“At least three Jaish-e-Mohammed militants are believed to be hiding in the area, including two Pakistan-origin commanders identified as Saifullah and Adil,” said an official.

Pertinently, the encounter is part of ‘Operation Trashi-I,’ which was launched on January 18 following coordinated intelligence regarding militant movement in the higher reaches of Kishtwar district. The operation involves personnel from the Indian Army, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Jammu and Kashmir Police.

The Army’s White Knight Corps in a post on X said: “Contact with terrorists was re-established in the early hours of January 31 during the ongoing joint operation. The intelligence inputs from multiple sources were used to plan and execute the operation on the ground, and that the cordon had been secured while operations is in progress.”

The operation is being carried out across difficult terrain, with forces using drones, sniffer dogs and helicopters to track militant movement and monitor the area, officials said.

Senior officers from the Army and police are supervising the operation.

It may be recalled that on December 18 last year, an Army soldier was killed and seven others were injured during an encounter with militants in the Chatroo area of Kishtwar district.

Following that incident, security forces expanded search operations to dismantle militant networks operating in the region.

Since the launch of ‘Operation Trashi-I,’ one paratrooper has lost his life and eight security personnel have sustained injuries during separate engagements, officials said.

Authorities have suspended internet services within a six-kilometre radius of the encounter site as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of misinformation and to support operational requirements.

Officials said two Jaish militants have been active in the area for nearly two years and have been using natural caves and fortified shelters to evade security forces.

A hideout was recently detected in the Singhpora area, where food supplies and other materials were recovered.

An official said, “The operation would continue until the area is fully cleared, and further details would be shared as the situation develops.” (KNO)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here