Normal for 2 days, Kashmir shuts again

   

KL News network

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Srinagar

KL images: Bilal Bahadur
KL images: Bilal Bahadur

After exhibiting massive crowds in markets for two days, Kashmir is back to the last four months routine – the strike. With businesses, and schools closed, the transport is skeletal on most of the roads on Monday.

The roads are deserted and the government has deployed a lot of cops and paramilitary men to ensure there are no protest gatherings around.

The separatist triumvirate comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Mohammad Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, spearheading now nine-fortnight old unrest, have not given any late-afternoon relaxation. They have been routinely issuing weekly protest calendars since July 8, the day when teenage rebel Burhan Wani was killed.

There is some life in some peripheral towns where even some public transport is also plying. Baramulla, for instance, had public transport working but the trade closed. Some of the small towns on the highway had tensions but some life was going on. Cabs are the only transport link that is connecting most of the peripheral towns with the Srinagar city.

A paralytic Srinagar on Monday after two days of normalcy has resumed the separatist dictated routine in Kashmir. Authorities had already started restoring the services it had withdrawn. Internet on postpaid mobiles was restored after more than four months.

As nearly 100 people died and more than fifteen thousand were injured in all these days, authorities have arrested as many as 7392 persons in a “bid to normalize situation”. Police have registered 2513 cases against 4372 persons, the government told the parliament recently. In addition to 472 persons being booked under Public Safety Act, the government said 2548 persons were bound down / detained during this period.

Strike apart, people preferred to remain indoors due to intense cold as well.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here