Ramban Tragedy Warrants National Disaster Declaration: BJP’s Sunil Sharma

   

SRINAGAR: Describing the recent cloudburst in Ramban as a major disaster, Leader of the Opposition and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sunil Sharma on Monday said that the tragedy should be declared a national disaster by the Centre.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Sharma, accompanied by other BJP leaders, visited the affected areas to assess the damage caused by the sudden cloudburst and the resulting flash floods.

Speaking to reporters during the visit, Sharma said, “We will recommend to the Centre to declare this tragedy a national disaster.”

The BJP leader expressed sorrow over the loss of lives and destruction of property. “Three people have lost their lives in this calamity. Around 20 to 30 shops have been completely destroyed. We have come here to assess the situation and will soon submit a detailed report to the Government of India,” he said.

Assuring the people of Ramban of full support, Sharma said that the BJP would act as a constructive opposition. “We will ensure that the Jammu and Kashmir Government provides the requisite support to those affected by this disaster,” he added.

Referring to public expectations from the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government, Sharma said, “People have a lot of hope in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s leadership. I want to assure them that both the Central and Union Territory leadership of the BJP are fully committed to providing all possible assistance to the victims of this disaster.”

It is pertinent to mention that the flash floods, triggered by the cloudburst last week, caused significant damage to infrastructure and livelihoods in Ramban, also leading to the closure of the Jammu–Srinagar National Highway.

Authorities have launched relief and rehabilitation efforts as teams continue to assess the full extent of the damage. (KNO)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here