KL NEWS NETWORK
District administration Kupwara Friday made it clear that it is dead impossible to initiate a probe into Dardpora (Lolab) encounter in which seven ‘foreign’ militants were gunned down by Indian Army in a ‘gun fight’ in February 23 last year. The encounter had taken place in Dardpora forests of Lolab in frontier district Kupwara.
Pertinently, this encounter had evoked widespread condemnation and Valley had observed a complete shutdown in response to the strike call forwarded by separatist leaders. Six days after the encounter, Police had claimed that it identified six of seven ‘unidentified’ militants.
“On the basis of evidences collected, the militants have been identified as Sufian, Rehman, Kashif, Qari, Dawood, Arqam-all residents of Pakistan. However, one killed militant is yet to be identified,” then DIG North Kashmir, JP Singh had told reporters in a news conference.
Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Rajeev Ranjan told CNS that Assistant Commissioner Revenue has been appointed an inquiry officer and he will collect all the details about the Dardpora encounter.
When contacted ACR Kupwara Firdous Ahmed Raina said that it is not possible to establish facts about the Dardpora encounter. “It has been over a year and there are no evidences,” he said.
“A week before then SP Kupwara Rahul Malik had written a letter to the District administration seeking probe into Dardpora encounter. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has actually directed the J&K government to submit magisterial inquiry reports of 30 gunfights in Kashmir for which it has recommended “gallantry awards” for police personnel and in this back drop SP Kupwara requested us to prepare an inquiry report into the said encounter. It will be only a formality if we will proceed with the inquiry. We will send the file back to the District police chief and as a matter of fact we are mulling to inform him in writing that District administration can’t proceed with the inquiry about an encounter that is over a year old,” Raina said.