Director General of Police, Dr SP Vaid on Wednesday released the annual edition of crime gazette for the year 2016 for which the data has been collected, tabulated and maintained by Crime Record Bureau, presented and released in the form of book.
Speaking on the occasion, DGP complemented the Crime Branch J&K for publishing the book which contains all the information with regard to crime statistics of the State, besides having a comparison with the corresponding year of 2015.
While addressing the senior officers who had gathered on this occasion, DGP said that there is an urgent need for creation of a section exclusively devoted to research and development needs of the police department. He said that there is a need to re-orient some sections of the department so as to provide better service to the people.
Earlier in his introductory address, IGP Crime Alok Puri threw light on some statistics of the year 2016. He said that the crime gazette would help different wings of State police to access, analyse and evolve further strategies to improve upon their working.
Highlights of year 2016
- Increased trend in the registration of crime cases has been found in the year 2016 (26,548 cases) as compared to the corresponding year of 2015 (25,269 cases): increase of 1279 cases in the year 2016 which is 9.5 percent increase. This was due to hassle free registration of cases.
- Decrease trend has been found in the disposal of cases by J&K police during the year 2016. As only 23,692 cases have been disposed of by the police as compared to the corresponding year 2015 (26,891 cases) i,e decrease of 3199 (8.8%)
- Recovery percentage of stolen property during the year 2016 has increased by 5.88% (i,e 37.61% in 2015 and 43.49% in 2016. This also includes motor vehicle thefts.
- Incidents related to crime against women have decreased during the year 2016 (i,e 2920 cases) as compared to 3539 cases during the year 2015.
- Crime against women has dropped.805 cases of kidnapping/abduction have been reported in 2016 as compared to 1152 in 2015.
- 275 cases of rape have been reported in 2016 as compared to 315 in 2015. Similarly there has been decrease in eve teasing cases from 215 in 2015 to 157 in 2016.
- Molestation cases have also decreased from 1342 in 2015 to 1233 in 2016.
- There has been an overall increase of 391 cases under Local and Special laws i,e (2118 cases) as compared to 1727 cases in the year 2015. This is due to the police initiation of taking preventive action.