SRINAGAR: A sequence of earthquakes struck Japan’s Shimane and Tottori prefectures on Tuesday morning, beginning with a powerful magnitude 6.2 tremor at 10.18 am that registered a strong 5 on Japan’s seismic intensity scale.
Earthquake Detailed Report – 1/6
At around 10:18am, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.2 occurred in Eastern Shimane Prefecture at a depth of 10km. The maximum intensity was 5+. There is no threat of a tsunami. #earthquake pic.twitter.com/l2o6a1qOCr— NERV (@EN_NERV) January 6, 2026
Although authorities have yet to confirm casualties or the full extent of the damage, public broadcaster NHK reported that four people were taken to hospital and that several buildings sustained damage following the initial quake.
The epicentre of the first tremor, which occurred at a depth of around 10 kilometres, was located in eastern Shimane Prefecture. Strong shaking was felt across large parts of western Japan, prompting early warning alerts on television and mobile phones.
A seismic intensity of strong 5 was recorded in the Shimane cities of Matsue and Yasugi, as well as in Sakaiminato, Hino and Kofu in neighbouring Tottori Prefecture. The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) said there was no risk of a tsunami.
By 12.50 pm, at least 12 aftershocks had been recorded in the area, including a magnitude 5.1 tremor that registered a weak 5 on the intensity scale.
The JMA also detected Level 4 long-period ground motion — the highest category — in western Tottori, marking the first time such an alert has been issued in the prefecture. It was also the first Level 4 warning since the major earthquake that struck the Noto Peninsula in January 2024. The agency cautioned that long-period ground motion can cause prolonged swaying, particularly affecting people in high-rise buildings and on large bridges.
Authorities warned that further earthquakes of strong 5 intensity or higher could occur over the next week, especially within the next two to three days. “Seismic activity remains high in the area, and there is a possibility of another quake stronger than a strong 5. People should stay alert,” said Ayataka Ebita, an official with the JMA’s earthquake and tsunami division.
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said the government was assessing the damage and urged residents to prepare for possible aftershocks of a similar magnitude. Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara said that, as of 11 am, there had been no impact on nuclear power facilities in the region, including the Shimane plant operated by Chugoku Electric Power Co.
The Maritime Self-Defence Force said it would carry out damage assessments in the affected areas. Meanwhile, a power outage caused by the quake led JR West to suspend services on the Sanyo Shinkansen line between Hiroshima and Okayama, although operations resumed at 1 pm.
The succession of tremors and early warning alerts caused widespread anxiety, with footage showing power lines swaying and buildings shaking as television presenters reported from the region wearing protective helmets.
The strongest previous earthquake in the area occurred in October 2000, when a magnitude 7.3 tremor struck western Tottori, registering a strong 6 on the seismic intensity scale. Tuesday’s quake is the most powerful to hit Japan so far this year.















