Briefing March 16-22, 2025

   

BILLAWAR

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp
BJP leader Surinder Choudhary joins NC in presence of Omar Abdullah on July 11, 2023

It was dual control at play last week when the Jammu and Kashmir Police facilitated the visit of Leader of Opposition (LoP) BJP leader Sunil Sharma to Billawar and ensured that Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Choudhary was not permitted to go. Billawar witnessed the killing of three civilians including a minor and two people are still missing. One MLA Rameshwar Singh who attempted vesting the area was heckled. This triggered a massive uproar in the assembly, which was busy during the budget session. After over 25-minutes of ruckus, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah spoke.  He sought investigations including probing the heckling of Independent MLA Rameshwar Singh, who visited a hospital in Billawar tehsil to meet the families of the deceased. Omar gave graphic details about how the Jammu Kashmir Police facilitated the LoP visit and ensured the Deputy Chief Minister was not permitted. “I fail to understand that if the situation was such that the Deputy CM couldn’t go there, how was the LoP allowed”? Omar asked, even as Sharma tried to reason with him about his visit. “You (LoP) cannot reply because I am not asking you. My question is for those who allowed you (to visit Kathua) but stopped the Deputy CM. It seems we are under a new administration, and you (Sharma) have become the spokesperson for the police. I have placed the reality before the House and the police will have to give answers, not you.” Interestingly, assembly Speaker Abdul Rahim Rather earlier disallowed a debate on the killings in Billawar citing the House’s lack of authority over the policing and law and order issues.

The Government said over 3.70 lakh unemployed youth, including 1.13 lakh graduates and postgraduates, have registered on the employment portal as of January 2025.

JAMMU

Jammu and Kashmir People’s Conference chief and Handwara MLA Sajad Lone has criticised the Union Territory’s reservation policy, claiming it is being used to marginalise Kashmiri-speaking people and reorder the region’s social structure. Speaking in the Assembly, he asserted that the current system disproportionately reduces their representation in government jobs and competitive examinations, such as the Jammu and Kashmir Administrative Services. Lone highlighted data showing a decline in the proportion of Kashmiri-speaking candidates qualifying for the JKAS examination—from 25 per cent in 2022 to 19 per cent in 2023. He argued that the 60 per cent reservation allocation restricts their opportunities, particularly as Kashmir lacks a Scheduled Caste population. He urged a rationalisation of quotas, pointing out that Scheduled Tribe communities in Jammu are more scattered and marginalised than those in Kashmir, where entire constituencies fall under the ST category. Warning of long-term consequences, Lone said the policy disregards Kashmir’s history of turmoil and risks exacerbating social tensions. He criticised bureaucratic decision-making, cautioning that merit-based admissions are being undermined, which could lead to generational disorder. His remarks have reignited debate on the fairness of the reservation system, with the government yet to respond.

Wular Lake supports the livelihood of 5,200 registered fishermen and offers 60 per cent of the fish catch to Kashmir. In 2023-24, the production was recorded at 1,215.25 MT of local fish and 3,378.611 MT of carp.

DELHI

Mirwaiz Umar Farooq at Srinagar’s Jamia Masjid after being released from house arrest on September 22,2023 (KL Image)

The Ministry of Home Affairs has banned Jammu and Kashmir Ittihadul Muslimeen (JKIM) and Awami Action Committee (AAC) under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for five years, citing their alleged involvement in anti-national activities. Union Home Minister Amit Shah stated that these groups incited law and order disturbances and threatened national integrity. Both organisations, constituents of the Hurriyat Conference, condemned the ban, with AAC leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq calling it part of a broader strategy of intimidation post-2019. JKIM, founded by Maulana Abbas Ansari in the 1960s, and AAC, established in 1964 by Mirwaiz Moulana Farooq, have historically been involved in Kashmir’s political and religious landscape. Both claim to advocate peaceful and democratic methods. Political parties, including the National Conference and the PDP, criticised the move, arguing it suppresses democratic dissent and deepens alienation. Analysts see it as contradicting claims of post-2019 normalcy. In contrast, BJP leaders supported the decision, arguing the groups propagated extremism.

Masroor Abbas Ansari of JKIM rejected allegations of militancy and vowed legal action. The ban follows previous restrictions on various other groups. Critics argue such measures undermine moderate voices and Kashmir’s political engagement, while the government maintains it is necessary for peace and stability.

Jammu and Kashmir’ is transferring financial liabilities, amounting to Rs 2,504.46 crore, to the Union Territory of Ladakh

KULGAM

The body of Riyaz Ahmad Bajad, one of three men who went missing nearly a month ago, was recovered from Veshow Nallah in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district. A resident of Devsar, Bajad was last seen on February 13. His family and locals had been demanding intensified search efforts. Police are investigating the cause of death while searches continue for the other two missing men. The incident has heightened concerns amid a series of disappearances in Jammu and Kashmir, with political leaders, including BJP and PDP, calling for a thorough probe into the growing number of mysterious deaths.

Of,27,241 kanals and 8 marlas of state land worth illegally occupied, the Jammu and Kashmir government has retrieved 15,39,662 kanals and 15 marlas already. Still, 13,645 kanals and 12 marlas of land worth over Rs 18,000 crore are yet to be retrieved.

HANDWARA

At Maidan e Chogal (Handwara), a primary school and two high schools for boys and girls are underwater as these emerge as the first casualty every time Pohru water spills over. KL Image: Hilal Shah

Jammu and Kashmir’s government announced in the Legislative Assembly that it would conduct a detailed inquiry into the selection of a flood-prone site for Government Medical College (GMC) Handwara, which resulted in significant financial losses. She assured that local representatives would be consulted for selecting a new site. The issue sparked heated debates, with Sajad Gani Lone criticising the previous administration for not consulting locals and warning that Rs 500 crores allocated for the project could lapse if a decision was not taken within 20 days. NC legislators demanded that the college be established between Handwara and Kupwara, leading to a verbal exchange between Lone and NC members. Lone accused NC of playing politics and diverting an engineering college from Kupwara. Minister Sakina Itoo countered that safety concerns were paramount, acknowledging Rs 40 crores in wasteful expenditure since 2022. She stated she would allow construction at the current site only if someone assumed responsibility for safety. Emphasising that the GMC was a public institution, not a political issue, Itoo assured a fair inquiry into the flawed site selection and sought the Agriculture Minister’s assistance in identifying an alternative location, now set to be in Kulangam.

Government departments in Jammu and Kashmir have emerged as major defaulters, with pending electricity bills amounting to over Rs 3,517.90 crore.

JAMMU

Mubarak Mandi Palace in Jammu, as seen from a distance. It is currently being repaired.

The Jammu and Kashmir Government revealed that two sub-projects under the Mubarak Mandi Heritage Project, valued at Rs 12.34 crore, have been completed, while seven more worth Rs 33.85 crore are underway, with most expected to be completed by October 2025. The completed works include the Conservation of the Army Headquarters at a cost of Rs 3.96 crore and Phase-I of the Royal Court Gadavai Khanna Badi Deodi, completed for Rs 8.38 crore.

Ongoing projects include the Conservation of Mahals of Raja Ram Singh Queen (Rs 3.80 crore), Raja Ram Singh Palace (Rs 4.59 crore), Dogra Art Museum (Rs 1.43 crore), Raja Amar Singh Palace (Rs 3.22 crore), Darbar Hall (Rs 3.14 crore), the Central Court MMJHS redevelopment (Rs 19 lakh), and Phase-II of the Royal Court Gadavai Khanna Badi Deodi (Rs 5.44 crore). The Government stated that while most projects would be finished by October 2025, no timeline was set for Phase-II of the Royal Court restoration, which is under the Archaeological Survey of India.

Jammu and Kashmir Government owes Rs 3,464.35 crore in pending GPF, gratuity, leave salary, and commutation bills for employees who retired in the past year.

BHADERWAH

Vandana-Mahajan-a-cricketer-from-Bhaderwah-has-secured-a-spot-in-Canada-Womens-National-Cricket-Team
Vandana-Mahajan-a-cricketer-from-Bhaderwah-has-secured-a-spot-in-Canada-Womens-National-Cricket-Team

Vandana Mahajan, a 34-year-old cricketer from Bhaderwah, Jammu and Kashmir, has made history by being selected for the Canada Women’s National Cricket Team. An IT engineer and entrepreneur, Vandana developed a passion for cricket as a child, playing with her brothers due to the lack of female players in her hometown. She represented Jammu and Kashmir at the state level before moving to Bangalore and later Canada, where she balanced her business and cricketing career. Now a fast-bowling all-rounder, she is representing Canada in the ICC World Cup T20I Americas Region Qualifier, proving that determination and perseverance lead to success.

SRI LANKA

About to be ready cricket bats in a huge heap in a cricket bat manufacturing facility at Sangam. KL Image: Shadaab Gilani

Former Sri Lankan cricketer Muttiah Muralitharan’s company, M/s Ceylon Beverage, has withdrawn from its planned Rs 1,650 crore investment in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kathua due to the expiry of industrial incentives under the 2021 National Sector Industrial Policy. The project had sparked controversy after opposition lawmakers alleged that land was allotted to the company “free of cost” while locals faced difficulties securing land for housing. However, official records show that the 26-acre plot was allocated at Rs 64 lakh per acre, with an annual lease of Rs 60,000. The controversy erupted in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, with CPI(M) legislator Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami and Congress’s GA Mir questioning the allocation process. The government, however, stated that the matter falls under the Revenue Department’s jurisdiction. Muralitharan’s firm, which had planned a bottling and can manufacturing plant, applied to withdraw from the project on March 6 and will now relocate to Pune.

The withdrawal follows the expiry of Rs 28,400 crore worth of industrial incentives in September 2024. The Jammu and Kashmir government sought an extension, but approval from the Centre remains pending. Ceylon Beverages, a leading beverage exporter, operates units in Chennai and Mysore and provides services to global brands like Coca-Cola and Nestlé.

GULMARG

Shivan Bhatiya and Narresh Kukreja, the designer duo who faced backlash after a fashion show in Gulmarg during Ramzan 2025

A fashion show held in Gulmarg on March 7, during the holy month of Ramadan, has sparked a major controversy in Jammu and Kashmir. Organised by designers Shivan and Narresh as part of their luxury brand’s 15th anniversary, the event showcased ski wear but drew intense criticism for its timing, with many deeming it “outrageous” and “obscene.” Political, religious, and social groups condemned the event, arguing that it disregarded local cultural sensitivities and religious sentiments. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah clarified that the government had no role in the show, stating it was a private affair held at a private hotel (incidentally owned by his relatives) without government funds, infrastructure, or officials involved. However, he acknowledged public concerns, asserting that the event was inappropriate at any time of the year, not just during Ramazan. He ordered an inquiry, directing the Gulmarg administration to investigate any legal violations.

The controversy erupted in the state assembly, where opposition and ruling party legislators demanded a debate on the issue. Prominent figures, including Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Kashmir’s grand mufti Nasir-ul-Islam, strongly opposed the event, with the latter warning of serious consequences if similar events were repeated. PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti also criticised the event, calling it vulgar and a cultural invasion. She accused the government of negligence, warning that absolving itself of responsibility could encourage more such incidents. Following the backlash, videos of the show were removed from social media, and the designers issued an apology, expressing regret for any unintentional hurt caused by religious sentiments.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here