SRINAGAR: Clashes along the Thailand-Cambodia border continued on Saturday, despite US President Donald Trump claiming that both sides had agreed to revive a ceasefire following days of deadly fighting, Reuters reported.
Trump, on Friday, announced on Truth Social that an agreement had been reached to halt hostilities after phone calls with Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet. He wrote, “They have agreed to CEASE all shooting effective this evening, and go back to the original Peace Accord made with me, and them, with the help of the Great Prime Minister of Malaysia, Anwar Ibrahim.”
However, the Thai government quickly disputed Trump’s claims. Defence officials told AP that clashes were still ongoing, and Prime Minister Anutin insisted that Bangkok would continue military operations “until Cambodia no longer poses a threat to Thai sovereignty.” In a Facebook post on Saturday, he added, “Thailand will continue to perform military actions until we feel no more harm and threats to our land and people. I want to make it clear. Our actions this morning already spoke.”
Anutin also rejected Trump’s description of a land mine explosion that wounded Thai soldiers as an accident, calling it a deliberate act of aggression. Thai Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow said some of Trump’s remarks reflected a “distorted understanding of the situation,” highlighting Thailand’s long-standing alliance with the United States.
Cambodia has not directly confirmed Trump’s ceasefire claim but accused Thailand of continuing attacks. Its defence ministry said on social media that Thai forces deployed two F-16 fighter jets on December 13, to drop seven bombs on multiple targets, with operations still ongoing. Prime Minister Hun Manet acknowledged speaking with Trump and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, expressing readiness to cooperate, but made no direct reference to an agreed ceasefire.
Malaysia has played a central role in mediating the conflict since earlier this year. The initial July ceasefire was brokered in Kuala Lumpur after Trump threatened to withhold trade privileges unless both sides agreed. The deal was further detailed during a regional meeting in Malaysia in October, which Trump attended.
Despite these diplomatic efforts, violence has escalated. More than two dozen people have been reported killed over the past week, with displacement exceeding half a million. Thailand has confirmed 15 soldiers killed and estimates 165 Cambodian military fatalities, while Cambodia has reported at least 11 civilian deaths and more than 60 injuries, according to Reuters.















