SRINAGAR: After a brief but tense pause in Hajj operations triggered by rising tensions between India and Pakistan, flights carrying pilgrims from Jammu and Kashmir resumed on Wednesday, with 642 pilgrims departing for the holy city of Madinah.
Executive Officer of the JK Hajj Committee, Dr Shujhat Qureshi said, “Today, we operated four flights from Srinagar Airport to New Delhi. From there, two Hajj flights departed directly to Madinah, carrying a total of 642 pilgrims.”
Dr Qureshi noted that the committee was working round-the-clock to address the backlog caused by the suspension. “We have written to the Ministry of Minority Affairs, requesting additional flights to manage the pendency. Tomorrow, we have scheduled two more flights—one as per the regular schedule and another dedicated to accommodating those whose departures were delayed,” he said.
According to the plan, 641 pilgrims are set to fly out on Thursday—around 320 from Jammu and Kashmir and 241 from Ladakh. An additional group of 80 pending pilgrims from Ladakh, initially scheduled to travel on May 9, will also be accommodated.
“We are addressing the backlog in a phased, date-wise manner, starting with May 7, followed by May 8 and onwards,” Dr Qureshi said, adding that pilgrims from both J&K and Ladakh affected by the disruption are being prioritised.
The temporary suspension of Hajj services had created concern among intending pilgrims, particularly those scheduled to travel earlier in the week.
However, with the situation easing, authorities have swiftly reinstated operations to ensure no pilgrim is left behind.
Dr Qureshi added that they were hopeful the entire backlog would be cleared soon and that the regular Hajj flight schedule would be restored. (KNO)















