SRINAGAR: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has expressed anguish over the large-scale departure of tourists from Kashmir following the terror attack in Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives. As authorities scramble to ensure the safe return of visitors to their home states, Abdullah said it was “heartbreaking” to witness what he described as an exodus of guests from the Valley.
“It’s heartbreaking to see the exodus of our guests from the Valley after yesterday’s tragic terror attack in Pahalgam, but at the same time, we totally understand why people would want to leave,” Abdullah posted on X on Wednesday.
It’s heartbreaking to see the exodus of our guests from the valley after yesterday’s tragic terror attack in Pahalgam but at the same time we totally understand why people would want to leave. While DGCA & the Ministry of Civil Aviation are working to organise extra flights,… pic.twitter.com/5O3i5U1rBh
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) April 23, 2025
The Chief Minister said the administration had been directed to facilitate traffic along the Srinagar-Jammu national highway, which has now been reopened for one-way movement. “This will have to be done in a controlled and organised way because the road is still unstable in places. We are also working hard to clear all stranded vehicles,” he said.
The government has requested patience and cooperation from travellers while security and logistical arrangements are being made for a safe passage. The Ministry of Civil Aviation has also stepped in, asking airlines to prevent any surge in ticket prices and to operate additional flights out of Srinagar.
Meanwhile, panic has gripped the tourism industry in the Valley, with travel operators reporting massive cancellations—some estimating losses of up to 80 per cent.
While many tourists have left or are planning to leave, some visitors have decided to remain in Kashmir, reassured by the heavy security presence. “We thought we had to return immediately, but the hotel staff made us feel safe. There is police and the army everywhere. We can move around without fear,” said a woman tourist from Mumbai.
Despite the tragedy, the government is hopeful that the coordinated response will help restore confidence among travellers and prevent long-term damage to the tourism sector, which has only recently begun recovering from years of instability.















