Hopes Rise for Gaza Ceasefire as Netanyahu Visits US

   

SRINAGAR: After 21 months of war, hopes for a Gaza ceasefire have increased as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets US President Donald Trump in Washington. Ahead of the visit, Netanyahu said, “We are working to achieve the deal that has been discussed, under the conditions we have agreed.” He added that talks with Trump could help move the process forward.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp
Donald Trump with Netanyahu of Israel

Trump, speaking earlier, said he had been “very firm” with Netanyahu and believed “we’ll have a deal” this week.

Indirect negotiations between Israel and Hamas resumed in Qatar on Sunday evening. The talks are based on a US-backed proposal for a 60-day ceasefire and a phased hostage release. However, key issues remain unresolved, and both sides remain cautious.

Public pressure is also mounting in Israel. Rallies were held on Saturday demanding a deal to bring back around 50 hostages, with only about 20 believed to be alive.

This marks Netanyahu’s third visit to the White House since Trump returned to office six months ago, but the first since the US joined Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear sites and helped broker a ceasefire with Iran. Analysts believe the outcome of the recent 12-day Israel-Iran conflict has strengthened Netanyahu’s position and weakened Hamas, possibly creating a more favourable context for an agreement.

Trump is also pushing to advance other regional goals, including border talks between Israel and Syria, normalisation with Saudi Arabia, and renewed negotiations with Iran over its nuclear programme.

A central sticking point in the talks has been Hamas’ demand for a permanent ceasefire and Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza. Israel has offered only a temporary truce tied to hostage returns.

Media reports suggest the latest proposal includes US guarantees and aims to facilitate further negotiations for a lasting ceasefire. Under the deal, Hamas would release 28 hostages—10 alive and 18 dead—in five stages over 60 days. Humanitarian aid to Gaza would increase significantly.

On the first day, eight living hostages would be released, followed by Israeli troop withdrawals from parts of the north. A week later, troops would leave some southern areas. On Day 10, Hamas would confirm the status of remaining hostages, and Israel would disclose information on over 2,000 Gazans held in administrative detention. As before, a large number of Palestinian prisoners would be released in exchange for the hostages.

No formal announcement has been made yet.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here