SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Forest Minister Javed Ahmed Rana on Tuesday ordered a probe into an anti-encroachment drive conducted by the Forest Department in the Raika Bandi forest belt on the outskirts of Jammu, alleging excesses during the operation.
Officials said police and Forest Department teams demolished over 30 structures and reclaimed nearly 60 kanals of forest land in the lower Shivalik belt during the drive.
Following the operation, Rana said he had directed an inquiry into the Forest Department’s role and would request Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha to initiate action against police personnel allegedly involved in excesses.
He said he would also seek registration of an FIR against police officers, alleging that excessive force had been used and that residents were not permitted to offer prayers during the operation.
Rana further stated that the affected families had been residing in the area for several decades and said the matter should be handled sensitively. He claimed that, based on revenue records available to him, the land belonged to the residents and was not under Forest Department jurisdiction.
He appealed for calm and assured that rehabilitation measures would be undertaken and compensation provided for losses. He also said the Tribal Affairs Department would be involved in rehabilitation efforts.
Officials, however, said the eviction drive was part of an ongoing operation to remove illegal encroachments and reclaim government forest land. They said around 20 to 30 structures were demolished and nearly 50 kanals of land, valued at around Rs 60 crore, was retrieved in the Mahamaya forest belt.
Officials further alleged that some of the structures were linked to narcotics traffickers and were being used for storage and distribution of heroin.
Affected families staged protests against the demolition, describing the action as unjustified and alleging that no prior notice had been issued.















