Mugees laid to rest as thousands attend funeral despite restrictions


Thousands of people attended the funeral of slain militant Mugais Mir in Parimpora on Saturday. People crowded to the place despite strict restrictions in most of Srinagar and schools locked for the day.

Women mourning at the funeral of Tehreek ul Mujahideen militant Mugees Mir at Parimpora. KL Image: Bilal Bahadur

The people who attended the funeral prayers were shouting slogans in favour of Zakir Musa and against India, however, dispersed peacefully. Police had cordoned the main road but were permitting the movement. The mourners later dispersed peacefully.

Mir, who was initially termed to be a recruit of Zakir Musa’s Guzwat-ul-Hind was finally claimed to be its member by Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen. He was hit by a bullet that slain Assistant Sub Inspector Imran Tak had fired at him at Zakoora. Tak was also killed in the brief clash with the militants.

Though the exact details of Mir’s killing are still not fully known, a general belief is that he was moving in a car when it was stopped by police at a naka party in Zakoora. It led to an instant clash between the two sides in which three persons were injured, two of them cops, the ASI and an SPO.

Generally it is believed that Mir had fled from the spot with his bullet wound and is believed to succumbed to his injuries later. It was not immediately known if the police have detected the car and many arrest. IGP Kashmir, Munir Khan said on Friday that they have arrested a militant involved in the Zakoora encounter.

Nothing much was also known about how Mir’s body was driven to his home. This is one of the rarest cases in which police did not know of the kill, till the body appeared.

Mugees Mir’s funeral at Parimpora attracted huge mourners on Saturday. KL Image: Bilal Bahadur

The family kept the body at the home for the night as the belt mourned. Early morning, thousands of people from around the locality assembled and his funeral prayers were offered in the sprawling SFC’s depot at PC Depot. He was laid to rest in a cemetery just behind the depot.

Fearing trouble, the authorities last night imposed restrictions in areas falling under eight police stations in Srinagar. It included Parimpora, Safa Kadal, M.R.Gunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Maisuma and Kralkhud belts. They also ordered closure of all the schools and colleges for the day, barring the examinations.
Besides, authorities also arrested JKLF leader Yasin Malik from his residence and sent him to the Central jail Srinagar. They also restricted the movement of Mirwaiz Umer Farooq to his residence.

Meanwhile, IT minister Imran Ansari has announced that he will donate his one month’s salary to the family of the slain police man. Reports said Tak was earlier attached to his security detail. DGP S P Vaid termed Ansari’s initiative “encouraging”.

I agree to the Terms and Conditions of Kashmir Life


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here