News Makers


Sunny, 24, son of Billa Ram of Umara has been allegedly beaten to death by his in-laws at Sui, Udhampur. His body with lathimarks and severe head injuries was found lying in the fields near his in-laws’s residence. It is said that Sunny was drunk when he arrived at his in-laws’s residence. Police have lodged a case and investigations are on.


Indian Army claims they have averted a ‘major tragedy’ after they detected and defused an 11 Kg Improvised Explosive Device (IED). The IED was made using a pressure cooker which was placed in a rice bag near a culvert at Shalteng.It was defused after an hour when the CM’s cavalcade left the area.


A group of 50 women, mostly lawyers, have filed a PIL in the state high court seeking re-investigation into the alleged mass rapes at Kunan-poshpora,Kupwara in February 1991. The group believes that there has been consistent effort to ensure impunity to the men of 4 Rajputana Rifles who are accused of raping over 40 women in the area.


Sikh groups blocked Jammu-Pathankot highway protesting against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar’s acquittal in 1984 anti-Sikhriots case. Karnail Singh, President All India Sikh Students Federation, protesting against the decision had hurled a shoe at the judge after the verdict was announced to register his protest against the decision. Kumar and five others had been accused of allegedly inciting a mob to kill 5 Sikhs in Delhi cantonment area in 1984. He had also been charged with dacoity, murder, inciting violence, rioting and damaging public property.


MirzaNisar Hussain and Mohammad Ali Bhat, Kashmiri boys, who were earlier taken into custody and later acquitted by the Delhi court after 16 years of imprisonment for Lajpat Nagar blast case, have been re-arrested. Apparently, the reason for their re-arrest is unknown but state Congress Pradesh Committee has taken up the issue with Manmohan Singh, they state.


Over 260 ex-militants have returned to Kashmir via Nepal under the surrender and rehabilitation policy, Minister of state for Home said. Government has received a total of 1094 applications on the behalf of prospective returnees under the policy and out of these 422 applications has been cleared. No ex-militant has been able to access the designated routes like Wagah, Salamabad and IGI Airport, Delhi under the 2010 policy of surrender and rehabilitation for ex-militants.


Syed Ali Shah Geelani, ChairmanHurriyat (G) has been invited to attend an international conference about Kashmir in United Kingdom next month. Though Geelani has accepted the invitation but does not possess a passport. He says he has continuously been denied a passport despite applying for it many times.


Nearly 200 militants are waiting to cross over into state from across the border, stated an official of Indian Army. They added that about 20-30 militants training camps are located close to the LoC. The officials say there is a high-level alertness along the LoC in the wake of the threat of infiltration and elaborate measures are already in place to foil any infiltration attempt.


An unidentified militant was killed in an encounter between militants and forces in a forest in Kupwara. Police says operation is going on and 6 RR and 92 Battalion of CRPF personnel are on job.


People of Qazigund staged a protest and have halted the train as they allege that they have not received the compensation which was promised to them before building the railway station. The protesters blame the railway authorities for causing the delay.


Scores of people staged protest against three boys who allegedly stabbed Mohammed Jafar Pala injuring him and blocked the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway. Pala was shifted to sub-district hospital and thereafter was referred to SKIMS, Srinagar. Later, police reached the spot and assured the protesters that all the accused will be arrested.


Rahil Majeed, 4, who had drowned in Pohru Nallah at Wudhpora, Handwara in April was traced. He had slipped to death when he was returning home along with his three-year-old sister. Divers of police and army had failed to trace the body during two weeks. Locals claim that itwas they who recovered the body.


Ghulam Hassan Wani, Sarpanch from Halka 270-Puzwa ‘A’ Ranhal has been disqualified for being a government employee and cheating the presiding and returning officer at the time of filling nomination papers. The court has maintained that the Sarpanch was neither eligible nor entitled to become or contest the election.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here