Omar Abdullah Rushes to Jammu After India Thwarts Drone, Missile Strikes from Pakistan

   

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah left for Jammu early Friday morning to assess the situation following a failed drone and missile attack by Pakistan on multiple military targets across northern India.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

“Driving to Jammu now to take stock of the situation after last night’s failed Pakistani drone attack directed at Jammu city and other parts of the division,” Abdullah said in a post on X. The chief minister added that the government would review the decision to shut schools on Monday, depending on how the situation evolves.

The Education Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Sakina Itoo, had earlier ordered the closure of all educational institutions for two days in view of the “prevailing situation.”
The high-level security alert was triggered after the army successfully neutralised what the defence ministry described as a major Pakistani military attempt to strike military stations in Jammu, Pathankot, Udhampur and several other locations late Thursday night. The move has escalated tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbours, raising fears of a broader military confrontation.
In the early hours of Friday, explosions echoed through Jammu city between 3:50 am and 4:45 am, prompting a temporary blackout. Sirens blared across key locations as security forces scrambled to counter further aerial threats, with activity of loitering munitions spotted in the skies. Videos circulating on social media captured flying objects and flashes of explosions as India’s air defence systems engaged the targets.

In a related development, overnight ceasefire violations were reported along the Line of Control, with Pakistani troops resorting to firing and shelling in the Poonch, Rajouri and Jammu districts. Indian troops retaliated effectively, defence officials said.

The Ministry of Defence stated that India remains “fully prepared to defend its sovereignty and ensure the safety of its people.”

Authorities have closed all schools, colleges and universities across the region, while the Jammu deputy commissioner issued an appeal for calm in a post on X. High alert remains in place across several border districts, including Akhnoor, Samba, Baramulla and Kupwara, where explosions and aerial activity were also reported Thursday night.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here