Pulwama Gunfight: Police Version

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir police on Saturday issued the following statement regarding Pulwama gunfight saying that on January 29, 2021, at about 2000hrs based on specific input regarding presence of militants in village Lelhar Kakapora area of Pulwama, a joint cordon and search operation was launched by Police, 50RR and 183Bn CRPF in the said area.

A police spokesman in a statement said that during the search operation as the presence of militants got ascertained, they fired indiscriminately upon the search party which was retaliated leading to encounter.

“However, the joint forces showed utmost restraint and provided them with an opportunity to surrender. Family members of the trapped militants were also called to the encounter site to motivate and persuade them to surrender,” said the spokesman.

“Due to the great efforts and utmost patience of police, forces and repeated surrender appeals with the help of their family members both the militants ultimately surrendered and laid down their arms before the joint forces,” he said.

“They have been identified as Akeel Ahmad Lone son of Mohammad Abdullah resident of Lelhar and Rouf Ahmad son of Ghulam Qadir Sheikh resident of Wasoora Pulwama. Both the militants were affiliated with proscribed outfit HM. During initial exchange of fire, one of the militant Akeel Ahmad Lone got injured who was evacuated to hospital for treatment,” he added.

“IGP Kashmir Shri Vijay Kumar – IPS congratulated the joint team of police and army for showing utmost patience and exhibiting professionalism, which resulted in saving the life of two youth,” said the spokesman, adding that “IGP Kashmir once again makes a fervent appeal to all youth who have joined militant ranks to shun the path of violence and return to mainstream as the society needs them and most importantly their parents. We will welcome and accept them with open arms.”

“Incriminating materials, arms and ammunition including 01 AK-47 and 01 AK-56 rifles laid down by them were seized,” he said.

“In this connection, police have registered a case under relevant sections of law and investigation has been initiated. People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared off of all the explosive materials if any,” said the spokesman.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here