Qazigund Murder Triggers Outrage, Family Seeks Justice Amid Allegations of Police Negligence

   

by Babra Wani

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

SRINAGAR: The brutal killing of a young shopkeeper in Sangran village of Qazigund has triggered widespread anger, with the victim’s family blaming the police for repeated negligence and inaction despite a spate of thefts in the area.

Zahid Ahmad, described by locals as kind and soft-spoken, was stabbed to death inside his home on the night of July 16 in what the family alleges was a planned attack disguised as a robbery. The attacker, who was apprehended on the spot, reportedly posed as an army personnel and carried a fake pistol, a knife, a screwdriver, wire cutters, and two walkie-talkies that were actively receiving signals.

25-year-old-Zahid-Ahmad-Banday-stabbed-to-death-in-robbery-attempt
25-year-old-Zahid-Ahmad-Banday-stabbed-to-death-in-robbery-attempt

“The man came fully prepared. This was not a random theft. He posed as a soldier and tried to mislead the family. The walkie-talkies had voices coming through, suggesting he was in touch with others. This was planned,” said Zahid’s cousin, Muzaffar Ahmad.

According to Muzaffar, Zahid had returned from his fiancée’s village earlier in the day, had dinner, and gone to bed when the attacker entered the house. “I received a call from my elder cousin late in the night. He was crying and said something had happened to Zahid. When I reached the house, Zahid was lying in a pool of blood and my uncle was restraining the assailant,” Muzaffar said.

Despite their efforts to rush him to hospital, Zahid succumbed to his injuries. “He was still conscious in the car. I told him he would be fine. But the doctor said he was stabbed directly in the heart and there was internal bleeding. He did not survive,” Muzaffar recalled.

Zahid had solemnised his Nikah six months ago and was scheduled to host the Rukhsati function in September. His grieving wife, who lives in a nearby village, is now with the family.

Locals said the attacker entered the house wearing a camouflage uniform, claiming he was on a search operation. He reportedly used the element of surprise and confusion to enter undetected.

“The weapon he carried was fake, but the damage he did was real,” said another villager.

The police later confirmed the attacker was carrying a toy pistol but have not revealed whether he was working alone or part of a larger group.

Negligence Alleged

The incident has sparked renewed criticism of the police, with the family blaming law enforcement for ignoring repeated complaints.

“There have been nearly ten robberies in our village. We went to the police each time. We filed written applications. We begged them to take action. But nothing happened. If they had acted, maybe Zahid would still be alive,” Muzaffar said.

He also accused a local police officer of dismissing the villagers’ concerns. “We were told we were exaggerating. But now, someone has died. What more proof do they need?”

The attacker remains in custody, but the family says a single arrest is not enough. “Justice does not mean arresting one man and closing the file. Who was he talking to on the walkie-talkies? Where did he get the fake uniform and gear? We want the entire network exposed,” Muzaffar demanded.

Fear and Frustration

The murder has deepened fear in the area, where villagers say thefts have gone unchecked for months.

“There have been at least eight to ten incidents in Sangran and nearby villages. People complained to police, but nothing came of it. Had they investigated seriously, this gang might have been busted earlier,” said a resident.

The lack of arrests in earlier cases and the failure to identify a pattern have left the residents frustrated.

“We have lost faith in the system. The police just come, write statements, and leave. But the criminals remain free,” said Muzaffar. Zahid, who supported his siblings and was known for helping others, is survived by three sisters and an elder brother who serves in the police.

The family has appealed to the government and media to ensure a thorough investigation and prevent similar tragedies in the future. “We cannot bring Zahid back. But this must end here. We do not want another family to suffer this way,” said Muzaffar.

As Sangran village mourns, Zahid’s death has become a symbol of growing insecurity and anger in rural south Kashmir, where calls for accountability and justice are growing louder.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here