SRINAGAR: A serene spring afternoon in Kashmir’s famed Baisaran valley turned into a bloodbath on Tuesday when heavily armed militants opened fire on tourists, killing 26 people and injuring more than 20 in one of the deadliest civilian attacks in the Valley since the 2019 Pulwama bombing.
The picturesque meadow, often dubbed “mini Switzerland” and nestled about six kilometres above the popular resort town of Pahalgam, witnessed horror and heartbreak around 3 PM as gunmen descended from pine-covered ridges and opened indiscriminate fire on unarmed tourists picnicking and taking pony rides.
While the official death toll is still being finalised, senior government sources confirmed to The Hindu and other national media outlets that 26 people, including two foreign nationals and one local Kashmiri, have lost their lives.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, visibly shaken, called the incident “an abomination” and said it was “much larger than anything we’ve seen directed at civilians in recent years.” In a post on X, Abdullah said, “The perpetrators of this attack are animals, inhuman and worthy of contempt. No words of condemnation are enough.”
Eyewitnesses reported a chilling sequence of events. Some said the attackers first asked names before opening fire. A woman survivor, speaking over the phone to a newsgathering agency, said, “My husband was shot in the head while seven others were also injured in the attack.” Chaos gripped the valley as gunshots rang out and screams of panic echoed across the open grassland.
Videos that surfaced shortly after the attack show lifeless bodies lying in pools of blood, wailing women looking for loved ones, and tourists attempting to flee in every direction, with no safe cover in sight.
Rescue operations began swiftly. Locals carried the injured down the trail on ponies, while the government deployed helicopters to ferry the seriously wounded. A doctor at the Pahalgam hospital said twelve patients were stable but critical care continues. The families of victims were shifted to the Pahalgam Club under tight security.
Most of the victims were from Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka. Among the identified dead was Manjunath Rao, a businessman from Karnataka’s Shivamogga. Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah held an emergency meeting and has dispatched a team to coordinate with authorities in Kashmir.
Security agencies say the attackers may have infiltrated through the Kishtwar-Kokernag route. A massive anti-militant operation has been launched with army, CRPF, and police personnel fanning out across the area. Drones and sniffer dogs are being used to comb the thick forest zone.
The timing of the strike has raised alarms in New Delhi and beyond. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, currently visiting Saudi Arabia, was briefed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah, who immediately flew to Srinagar for a high-level security review.
“I strongly condemn the militant attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir,” the prime minister posted on X. “Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. Those behind this heinous act will be brought to justice. Their evil agenda will never succeed.”
The attack also coincided with the visit of US Vice President J D Vance to India. Vance, who is currently in Rajasthan with his family, has not commented on the incident so far.
The local community in Pahalgam responded with anguish and defiance. Residents opened their doors to stranded tourists, and a candlelight vigil took place in the town square by evening. Traders and ponywallahs, many of whom helped rescue the wounded, spoke of betrayal. “We have worked hard to bring peace back to this town. Now it’s been shattered,” said Bashir Ahmad, a local hotel owner.
Pahalgam has long been one of the Valley’s tourism jewels. Its meadows, pine forests, and alpine lakes have drawn visitors for decades. It also serves as one of the base camps for the Amarnath Yatra. The 38-day pilgrimage is set to begin on July 3, and Tuesday’s attack has cast a pall of uncertainty over preparations.
The history of militant strikes in the Pahalgam region is grim. In 2000, more than 30 people were killed in an attack on the Amarnath base camp. In 2001 and 2002, more pilgrims were targeted. But Tuesday’s attack, with 26 dead, stands out for its sheer brutality against unarmed tourists — an act that both residents and officials said was meant to derail the Valley’s return to normalcy.
The Jammu and Kashmir administration has set up emergency control rooms in Anantnag and Srinagar, and officials said ex-gratia payments to the bereaved families will be announced shortly.
As the sun set over the snow-capped mountains of Pahalgam, silence returned. But it was not peace — it was mourning.















