SRINAGAR: The Trump administration is courting fresh ethical and constitutional controversy with its plan to accept a US$ $400 million luxury jet from the Qatari royal family. The aircraft, a Boeing 747-8 decked out in regal opulence, is being framed as a diplomatic “gesture” from Qatar, but the intended use of the aircraft—first as a makeshift Air Force One and later as a centrepiece of Donald Trump’s future presidential museum—has ignited outrage across the political spectrum, including among Trump’s conservative base.

The proposal, reported first by The New York Times on May 12, 2025, underscores the aggressive and unapologetic ethos of Trump’s second term, where traditional norms and legal limits around presidential conduct appear to have been largely discarded. According to The Times, Trump not only plans to use the aircraft during his presidency but is also expected to transfer it to his personal foundation after leaving office, calling it a “very nice gesture” from Qatar and dismissing critics by saying “only a stupid person” would turn it down.
According to reporting from The Independent and The Washington Post, the aircraft in question is a Boeing 747-8, an ultra-long-range jumbo jet comparable to the US Air Force’s VC-25B Air Force One replacements, which are still under military conversion and not due until at least 2027. Qatar’s version of the plane features: A master bedroom and a guest bedroom; Two full bathrooms and nine lavatories; Multiple lounges; A private office; and Luxury interiors more akin to a five-star hotel than a diplomatic aircraft
Dubbed a “palace in the sky,” the jet is currently stationed in San Antonio, Texas. Though it’s being offered as a “donation” to the US Department of Defence, its future use is widely believed to be for Trump’s personal and political benefit.
While the aircraft’s sticker price stands at around $400 million (Rs 3332 crore), retrofitting it to the standards required of an Air Force One platform would involve billions more in investment. The Independent notes that such modifications, ranging from secure communications to electromagnetic shielding, missile defences, and in-flight refueling, would take years and are logistically impossible to complete before Trump’s term ends in January 2028.
Representative Joe Courtney, a Democrat on the House Armed Services Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, told Politico that the plane would need to be “torn down to the studs and rebuilt,” calling it an “unfunded massive undertaking.”
According to a 2021 Pentagon estimate cited in The Independent, the VC-25Bs cost more than $2.5 billion apiece, with lifetime support and maintenance running another $7.7 billion over three decades.
The Trump administration has so far not released its legal justification for accepting the aircraft. The New York Times reports that Attorney General Pam Bondi, who was once a lobbyist for Qatar, signed off on the arrangement through a memo prepared by the Justice Departmld Trent’s Office of Legal Counsel. Critics argue that this approval lacks credibility due to Bondi’s past lobbying ties and the broader dismantling of anti-corruption mechanisms in the Trump-era Justice Department.
Bondi also suspended enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and narrowed the application of lobbying disclosure laws, further fuelling suspicions that the administration is bending institutional guardrails to accommodate personal interests.
Constitutional scholars and politicians have begun to raise the issue of the US Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which prohibits federal officials from accepting gifts from foreign governments without the explicit consent of Congress. Senator Rand Paul, a Republican, told Fox News that the plan is “not worth the appearance of impropriety.”
Surprisingly, some of the strongest rebukes have come from Trump’s own ideological base. The Guardian reported that conservative commentator Ben Shapiro condemned the deal on his podcast, saying: “President Trump promised to drain the swamp – this is not, in fact, draining the swamp.”
He also criticised Qatar’s ties to Al Jazeera, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Hamas, arguing that accepting gifts from such a government is incompatible with Trump’s “America First” slogan.
MAGA activist Laura Loomer, known for her staunch loyalty to Trump, called the plan a potential “stain on the administration,” saying: “We cannot accept a $400m ‘gift’ from jihadists in suits.”
The New York Post also published an editorial headlined: “Qatar’s ‘Palace in the Sky’ jet is NOT a ‘free gift’ – and Trump shouldn’t accept it as one.”
There are growing concerns that the aircraft is not just a vanity object but also a geopolitical token. Trump, during remarks about the gift, hinted that Qatar’s generosity was appreciated in light of the US providing security to the Gulf nation, a quid pro quo that many see as bordering on pay-to-play diplomacy.
Furthermore, the move may sour relationships with allies wary of Qatar’s geopolitical positioning, especially as Trump is currently on a Middle East tour to secure new arms and investment deals.
Trump has attempted to draw historical parallels with Ronald Reagan’s Air Force One now housed at the Reagan Library. But unlike Trump’s plan, the Reagan-era aircraft was decommissioned and remains US government property. Trump’s Qatari jet, in contrast, is intended to become part of a privately run foundation aligned with his political and personal brand.















