US judge holds Trump’s ban order; White House seeks emergency stay on the ruling

KL News Network

Srinagar

A US District Judge in Seattle on Friday has passed a ruling imposing a nationwide hold on President Donald Trump’s ban on travellers and immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim Countries that drew a wide spread condemnation, Media reports said.

However, the reports added, White House has sought an emergency stay of the ruling.

The judge, James Robard ruled that Washington state and Minnesota had standing to challenge Trump’s order. “The state has met its burden in demonstrating immediate and irreparable injury,” Robart said.

“The state has met its burden in demonstrating immediate and irreparable injury,” Robart said.

“This TRO (temporary restraining order) is granted on a nationwide basis …” he continued

It wasn’t immediately clear what happens next for people who had waited years to receive visas to come to America, however, an internal email circulated among Homeland Security officials told employees to comply with the ruling immediately.

Later in the day the White House released a statement saying they “will file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate.” Later another statement issued by the White House dropped the word “outrageous.”

Notably, two Kashmiris athletes were denied visas last on Thursday by US embassy in New Delhi. The denial was perceived to be the outcome of Trump’s ban.

Trump’s order last week sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travellers were detained.

The White House has argued that it will make the country safer.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here