Asif Iqbal Naik
In an unfortunate fire incident, a 150-year-old ancient temple of Rangu Devta (Nag temple) was gutted in a mysterious fire incident in Tagood village of Chatroo area in Kishtwar district on Monday late evening.
Senior police officials are visiting the site of the incident.
As per the details available with Kashmir Life, the people noticed the fire coming out the temple at around 8:15 PM and accordingly raised alarm, but till villagers acted, the temple was completely gutted.
Tagood village is situated about 40 KM from district headquarter Kishtwar and there is no proper road up to the temple and it took people 30 to 40 minutes by foot to reach the temple site.
The officers suspected that the fire that broke out in the temple might be due to firecrackers, however, the case will be probed on all possible angles.
The locals informed the Kashmir Life that the temple is situated in the middle of Tagood area surrounded with over 400 homes on all four sides. The temple was situated in Bungam Tagood and is about 400 to 500 meters away from the village having 100% Hindu population.
The locals said that the fire incident has shocked the whole community which suspected hands of “mischievous” elements and demanded probe into the circumstances.
While talking to Kashmir Life, a senior police official informed that SSP Kishtwar is personally visiting the spot along with senior officials of the district administration.
He said that it is premature to say anything. “Only after proper investigation, police will be able to comment on the circumstances that lead to this fire incident,” he said.
He said that there was no electricity connection in the temple and the temple was built of wooden logs and tin sheets.
The senior police and officials of district administration Kishtwar appealed for peace and communal harmony and assured though probe into this mysterious fire incident.