SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday said that no fresh registrations are currently being accepted under the Kashmir migrant relief assistance scheme, citing the improved law and order situation in the Valley.
Responding to a written query by National Conference legislator Mubarak Gul in the Assembly, Abdullah said the matter was reviewed in a meeting chaired by the Chief Secretary on July 12, 2023. “It was observed that the prevailing security situation in the Valley does not warrant fresh registrations at this stage,” he said.
The Chief Minister said the Prime Minister’s Return and Rehabilitation Package for Kashmiri Migrants is designed to enable their voluntary, safe and dignified return while ensuring socio-economic security through housing, employment and other support measures.
He added that a proposal to enhance the existing migrant relief assistance, keeping in view inflation and the rising cost of living, has been examined at the Union Territory level and forwarded to the Ministry of Home Affairs, which is the competent authority to take a final decision.
Abdullah said the comprehensive rehabilitation package was announced in 2009 with a total financial outlay of Rs 1,618.40 crore. The scheme aims to restore livelihoods and provide housing, education and financial security to the migrant community.
Detailing its components, he said the package includes residential support for migrant families, construction of transit accommodation for employees appointed under the scheme, continuation of monthly cash relief to registered migrants, student scholarships, employment opportunities, assistance to agricultural and horticultural workers, and waiver of interest on loans.
To support return and rehabilitation, the Centre sanctioned 3,000 posts under the Prime Minister’s Rehabilitation Package in 2009, followed by another 3,000 posts under the Prime Minister’s Development Package in 2015, taking the total to 6,000 posts for migrant youth.
“Appointment orders have so far been issued to 5,896 candidates, covering about 98.26 per cent of the sanctioned posts. The remaining 104 posts are at various stages of recruitment,” Abdullah said, noting that the employment component has played a key role in livelihood security and confidence-building among migrant youth.
On housing, he said the Centre approved the construction of 6,000 transit accommodation units in December 2015 across multiple districts of the Valley for migrant government employees appointed under the package.
Of these, 4,096 flats were completed by December 2025, while 1,904 units are under construction and are expected to be completed during the 2026–27 financial year. “Out of the completed units, 3,250 flats have already been allotted to eligible employees,” he said, adding that the complexes are being developed with essential civic amenities and security arrangements.
The Chief Minister clarified that there is no proposal to set up additional migrant transit camps in the Valley, as the existing 6,000 units under construction at 20 locations are intended to meet current residential requirements.















