Gowhar Dar’s family dismisses CRPF claims



The family of Gowhar Dar has termed the claims of CRPF for ‘not firing shells and bullets’ as “baseless” which allegedly led to killing of their son.

“We condemn the statement of CRPF DIG who has said that the paramilitary troops did not fire shells or bullets on the protesters in our locality on November 7. The statement is baseless and aimed to sabotage the ongoing inquiry,” Nazir Ahmad Dar, father of Gowhar Ahmad Dar, told a local news gathering agency, KNS.

While showing the copy of FIR registered by police, the father of victim has said the police has mentioned in its FIR that CRPF officer, Rajesh Kumar, ‘fired teargas shells toward the protesters.’

“The police has also mentioned in the FIR that Gowhar was reported to be critically injured by a shell. The CRPF also in its statement to media said that it fired 19 shells toward the protesters. How can the CRPF now refute the police FIR and its own statement? This is condemnable,” Dar said.

“The FIR has been registered in Police Station Parimpora vide No 289 U/S 307, 147, 148, 149 336,352 and 332 against CRPF’s 44 Battalion,” he siad.

Gowhar, 21, was an engineering student at SSM Parihaspora in Pattan, was killed on November 7, 2015 when Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi had left Srinagar after a addressing rally.

“My son was fired from point blank by CRPF. He was killed by a live bullet fired by CRPF which doctors in SKIMS also confirmed to us. He was not killed by any teargas shell as police and CRPF has claimed,” Nazir claimed.

Following public protests, the government had formed one-man inquiry of Additional Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar, N A Baba to probe the killing.

CRPF’s Deputy Inspector General, Srinagar (North), S K Parth had told reporters that “We did not fire any bullet; even no civilian has said that the youth was killed by a bullet. Doctors have said that he was hit by a shell, though doctors’ report is also inconclusive.”

The family also questioned CRPF statement as the magisterial inquiry is still going on in this case.

“17 witnesses have deposed before the inquiry officer. And more witnesses are willing to record their statements,” he said.

The inquiry officer is purportedly submitting his report to the government on January 7.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here