Kashmir Court Convicts Notorious Child Abuser After Nine-Year Legal Battle

   

SRINAGAR: In a landmark decision, the Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Sopore, led by Mir Wajahat, convicted “notorious child abuser” Aijaz Sheikh of Mundji village in Sopore after a prolonged nine-year legal battle. The final sentencing will be determined on Tuesday, following the court’s ruling today.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

The case, which was filed under Section 377 of the erstwhile Ranbir Penal Code (RPC), had been pursued relentlessly by the victim’s counsel, Advocate Ayshia Zahgeer. Zahgeer told news gatherer KNT that the conviction was a significant relief to both the victim and the community, who had waited for justice for nearly a decade.

Sheikh, who had assumed the roles of a teacher and Imam, used these positions to exploit and abuse minors. His manipulative tactics had allowed him to carry out his crimes for decades without consequence. Following the conviction, there are indications that more victims may come forward with allegations.

As news of the conviction spread, residents of Mundji village celebrated with firecrackers, marking the long-awaited delivery of justice, the news gatherer said. Many expressed hope that this outcome would encourage other survivors to speak out and seek justice.

The verdict is considered to set an important precedent for child abuse cases in Kashmir, with the expectation that it will send a strong message about holding abusers accountable for their actions. Sheikh, one of the region’s most notorious child abusers, has now been convicted under Section 377 of the RPC, which stipulates that those found guilty of ‘unnatural sex’ can face life imprisonment or up to 10 years in prison, along with a fine.

The Chief Judicial Magistrate noted that other survivors, who were listed only as witnesses in this case, have the right to file separate FIRs against Sheikh for their abuse.

The case began with the filing of an FIR on March 2, 2016, and charges were filed in October 2017. The trial faced numerous delays over the years, with the defence presenting its arguments only on January 3, 2025. The case was reserved for judgment on February 17.

Despite the challenges faced during the legal proceedings, the conviction signals the triumph of justice. Sheikh’s prolonged exploitation, which had affected numerous children in the region, has now been met with the full weight of the law.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here