Minister for PHE and irrigation, Taj Mohi ud Din, wrote a letter addressing state’s forest minister Mian Altaf Ahmad, on November 26, 20112, asking him to constitute a committee of officials to probe into allegations of land grab against him. Kashmir Life reproduces the letter.
This is in reference to various allegations being labelled against me now and then through print/electronic media regarding encroachment of Forest Land at Sedew, Shopian.
First of all, I would like here to recall your replies While replying to the supplementaries to Starred Deferred Question No. 220 listed in the Business List of 11th October 2012,during recently concluded Session of J&K Legislature, reproduced here under:-
(A) As per the Revenue Authorities, no illegal possession of Forest land by any sitting Hon’ble Minister has been established so far in the Sedow Forests. However, Forest Department has been directed to re-verify.
Further, I would like to enrich your good-self with below mentioned facts:-
1. that I have not grabbed/encroached any forest land at Sedow, Shopian.
2. that the allegations being made speaks of millions of malafied, intentional, personnel enmity just to tarnish/injure my reputation and defame me as a Minister.
3. It seems that there are certain quarters inimical to my person hell-bent to tarnish my image. They are telling the lies like “Goebbels Truth” and giving just a belief of being it a truth.
4. The issue under reference stands looked into by the Accountability Commission in the year September, 2005 and probed by Vigilance Organization, Kashmir in the year 2011 conveying that there is no Forest land grabbed.
5. As you are aware that the mere presence of conifer trees does not make it a forest like some sparrows do not make a summer.
6. That the Officers/Officials of Forest Department have not initiated demarcation of forests and instead claiming Revenue land as Forest land.
7. The relevant entries in the revenue record stands made in the year 1984. The related documents dated 12.03.1984 along with communication No. 1459/PCC dated 23.10.1985 of Conservator of Forests, Kashmir, South Circle addressed to DFO, Shopian Division and letter No. 956-57/OG dated 14.10.1985 from Tehsildar Shopian to the address of Deputy Commissioner, Pulwama with a copy to DFO Shopian and copy of Form 25 in the matter are enclosed. Besides, worth to mention that the relevant documents under “Roshni Act” stands as well deposited in respect of my land at Sedow, Shopian.
Despite the aforesaid facts, I shall be thankful, if you please look into the matter personally and get a joint committee of Revenue/Forest Departments constituted to demarcate the land under reference once again, in order to clinch the issue once for all, so that the records are put straight and un-necessary coverage through print/electronic media, which tends to undermine my image, due to the vilifications campaign launched against me that takes years to built. Besides, if the committee comes to the conclusion that any portion of Forest Land is under my occupation as per the records, which is not so, the same may be withdrawn.
Jenab Mian Altaf Ahmad,
Hon’ble Minister for,
Forest & Environment,