SRINAGAR: On the eve of the Jammu and Kashmir Combined Competitive Examination (JKCCE), the Lieutenant Governor’s office issued a series of 5 pm posts attempting to clarify its position on the long-pending demand for age relaxation, even as thousands of aspirants remain unsure whether the examination scheduled for Sunday will go ahead as planned.
The Lt Governor’s office said social media posts circulating about the administration’s role in delaying the decision were “misleading”. According to the official statement, Lok Bhavan received the age-relaxation file on December 2. “The file was categorically related to Age Relaxation only,” the office said.
The LG office stated that the file was returned to the government the same day, with a specific query on whether it was logistically feasible to incorporate a change in eligibility criteria just five days before the December 7 examination. “Despite lapse of 4 days Lok Bhavan did not receive any response. I fully sympathize with young aspirants,” the statement added.
The LG’s office also underlined that the notification for the examination had been published on August 22, and the date of the test formally announced on November 6.
The current upper age limit for the open merit category in JKCCE is fixed at 32 years. While this figure aligns with the government’s revised policy, aspirants point out that for decades the cap of 30 years had been routinely accompanied by a seven-year relaxation, effectively allowing candidates up to the age of 37 to apply. Many candidates who had relied on this long-standing practice found themselves excluded when the 2025 recruitment cycle enforced the fixed 32-year limit without any relaxation.
Around 30,000 candidates who fall within the current age ceiling have already submitted their forms. Those above 32 were unable to apply and have been pressing for age relaxation since June, when the examination cycle began. Aspirants say they were repeatedly assured by officials that the matter would be placed before the cabinet.
On November 4, officials reportedly told candidates that the proposal would be submitted within two days. The file was subsequently cleared by the Chief Minister, who approved age relaxation and confirmed its applicability to the ongoing examination cycle. The file was then sent to the Lieutenant Governor for final concurrence.
On December 2, National Conference MLA Tanvir Sadiq wrote that the Chief Minister’s Secretariat had confirmed the file was approved and forwarded to Raj Bhawan. Sources within the administration also suggested that the Lieutenant Governor had approved the proposal but included a remark querying who would bear the logistical costs, given the extensive preparations already undertaken for the December 7 examination.
The file is parked with the General Administration Department, which has yet to receive a formal written order for implementation. The Chief Minister has previously confirmed that the file was sent to the Lieutenant Governor, and the LG office’s statement confirms it was returned with a logistical query. This has left the administration without a clear directive.
The Public Service Commission delayed issuing admit cards for two days in anticipation of a government decision. With no clarity forthcoming, it released the admit cards on Monday evening.
The stalemate has created widespread anxiety among candidates. Those who are currently ineligible for having crossed the age threshold are waiting to see whether they will be granted an opportunity at the last moment. Those who are eligible and have been preparing for months remain unsure whether the examination will be postponed.
Candidates from Srinagar with centres in Jammu, and students studying outside the Union Territory who planned to travel home for the test, say the lack of clarity has placed them in a difficult position. Many are unsure whether to undertake travel and accommodation expenses for an examination that may be deferred.
With less than 15 hours to go before the scheduled examination, the administration has yet to announce a final decision. Aspirants say that at stake is not only their future but also trust in the examination system itself.















