Qazi Yasir

A day after a video showing Chairman of Ummat-e-Islami South Kashmir Qazi Ahmed Yasir in an obscene video call went viral on social media, Chief Patron of Islamic Research Institute, Mohammed Abdullah, decided to take away the post of Mirwaiz from him. He was also asked to step down from the presidentship of Idara Tehqiqat e Islami. Abdullah, who is also the grandfather of Qazi Yasir, decided to expel him from the family if he is proved guilty.

The video which is viral now shows Qazi performing an obscene act during an online video chat with an unknown girl. It has forced the Facebook users to create memes defaming him, and that is being widely circulated, especially in south Kashmir. However, local police have maintained silence over the issue.

Next day, after the video was leaked, the family called a presser and told media that Yasir’s image is being tarnished by the fake propaganda. The family also accused a Jammu based newspaper of publishing a story based on propaganda.

Mirwaiz Qazi Yasir (KL Image)

Yasir did his primary education from Hanfiya High School in Islamabad. Soon after his father Dr Qazi Nisar was assassinated by unidentified gunmen in Dialgam on June 19, 1994, he was titled as the head preacher of South Kashmir by Mufti Rasheed, the head Mufti of South Kashmir. He went to Al Jamiat Ul Ashrafiya to receive Islamic education and stayed there for six years. Later, he moved to Aligarh Muslim University, where he completed his graduation in Islamic Studies and also received his master’s degree in Islamic studies. Qazi Nissar was a star of the 1987 Muslim United Front.

Yasir, the father of two kids, returned to Kashmir Valley in 2006, and in April 2007, he led a hunger strike against a wine shop in the district that was opened near two educational institutes. The wine shop was shut down after four days of the hunger strike. In 2009, he led an agitation against a sex scandal involving many people backed by the state’s big shots. He also led the agitation against a double-rape and triple-murder case at Shopian earlier that year.

Arrested many times for his separatist rallies in south Kashmir, in 2010, police booked Yasir under PSA and lodged for 17 months in Kot Bhalwal, Jammu. He was released and arrested again in 2012 for one month, and in 2013 for two months.

Yasir was also the Chairman of Islamic Research Institute and chief spokesman of Muttahida Ulema I Ahli Sunnat, an amalgam of 47 religious organisations of the state. Yasir and Ummat e Islami worked for relief and rehabilitation operations during the catastrophic floods that hit the state in 2014. However, he was not part of the Hurriyat.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here