Asif Iqbal Naik
In two separate tragic accidents in Kishtwar, two youths died due to electrocution in Link Road and Padyarna area of the district on Sunday.
As per the details available with Kashmir Life, the first incident took place in the outskirts of Kishtwar town at Lanyal in which one person namely Abid Hussain Sheikh (32 years old) son of Ghulam Rasool Sheikh, resident of village Lanyal Kishtwar died after he met electric shock at his home while lifting water with the help of a motor.
The incident took place at around 2:30 PM and his family members immediately shifted him to district hospital Kishtwar where doctors pronounced him as brought dead.
After completion of all legal formalities, police handed over the dead body to the family members for burial. The deceased is survived by wife and two minor children.
In another incident, 16 year old Majid Hussain, son of Bashir Ahmed Sheikh, resident of Darbi in Nagsini tehsil, some 28 KM from Kishtwar, died after high tension 11 KV Kishtwar-Padder transmission line collapsed and hit the boy while two minors including the 10 year old brother of the deceased accompanying him had a miraculous escape.
As soon as the news of the tragedy, the family members rushed him to district Hospital Kishtwar where doctors pronounced him as brought dead.
As per the eye witnesses, the high tension wire fell on him and hit his face and damaged the mouth of the victim who had also received burn injuries.
The family members of the deceased blamed that as and when the incident takes place, they bring the matter into the notice of in-charge police post Padyarna. “Despite being informed; the official didn’t come to help and instead they shifted him to hospital on its own where unfortunately the doctors pronounced him as brought dead,” they said.
Meanwhile, police have filed a case of negligence against Power Development Department and started its investigation.
After conducting the autopsy, the body of the youth was handed over to family members.
The people informed the Kashmir Life that several high tension and low tension wires are hanging over green trees and over the roof top of the houses in several areas of Kishtwar district which immediately requires replacement as well as comprehensive plan to safeguard the lives and property of the people.
In other incident of electrocution on Sunday, two persons were killed while four others were injured due to electric shock in Tambas village, 25 kilometers from Kargil headquarters.
The incident took place when a religious rally was going on in the area.
As per the reports, Alum (tall bamboo clothed in religious banner) touched an electric wire, electrocuting four persons of which two died.
The deceased were identified as Ghulam Hyder, 36 and Mohammad Suleiman, 40 – both residents of Tambas.