#Day72: ‘Nine Army Men Dead In Uri Attack’

   

KL NEWS NETWORK

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

SRINAGAR

Suspected militants attacked an Indian army brigade headquarters near LoC on Sunday (Sept 18), reports said, killing at least nine army men in the most serious such attack in the northern region of Kashmir since 2014.

Indian army sources told an international news agency that between four and six “fidayeen” – or commando-style gunmen willing to fight to the death – were believed to have “penetrated” the brigade headquarters in Uri near the Line of Control with Pakistan.

The encounter was continuing, with the army deploying helicopters to evacuate 20 army men who had been injured in the dawn attack, the sources said, adding that the toll may rise. The army made no official comment.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said in a series of Twitter posts that he had spoken to the region’s political and military leadership and senior officials were monitoring the situation. He cancelled planned trips to Russia and the United States.

Kashmir Life could not independently confirm the number of casualties and the current status of the attack as the Airtel cell number of Srinagar based defence spokesperson remains switched off. Government has stopped private cellular networks from giving services given the mass civil anti-establishment uprising triggered by the death of popular militant commander Burhan Wani on July 08, 2016.

However, top police sources revealed to Kashmir Life that at least 15 army men were injured in the attack as the  number of attackers is about “six”.

“Family of an Army Brigadier is missing,” he added. The cop added that fourteen injured army men have been airlifted to Army’s Srinagar base hospital in Badambagh. “Majority of them are critical,” he said.

Special army men were air dropped to rescue the brigade men who were attacked early this morning.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here