Defence Ministry Seeks Protection of Operation Sindoor Logo Amid Trademark Rush

   

SRINAGAR: The Ministry of Defence has moved to secure the “Operation Sindoor” logo under the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950, after a flurry of trademark applications — from film titles and TV shows to food products and cosmetics — sought to capitalise on the military operation’s name.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

In a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jitin Prasada said 46 trademark applications using the terms “Operation Sindoor,” “Ops Sindoor,” “Mission Sindoor,” and similar variants have been filed since May 1, 2025, with the Trade Marks Registry. The applications span multiple classes, including entertainment, media, apparel, packaged food, oils, cosmetics, and even building services.

The filings include individuals, private companies, media houses, and consumer goods manufacturers. One application has already been withdrawn, while none have been accepted so far. Notable applicants include production companies, cosmetic brands, and technology firms.

Although there are currently no internal guidelines for trademarking military operation names, Prasada said all applications are processed under the Trade Marks Act, 1999, and Trade Marks Rules, 2017. The Defence Ministry’s July 29 letter seeks to legally restrict the commercial use of the “Operation Sindoor” insignia, citing the need to protect its symbolic and national significance.

The surge in filings follows the April 2025 launch of Operation Sindoor, India’s military campaign against Pakistan after the Pahalgam attack.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here