SRINAGAR: The Government of India on Friday said fuel supplies remain stable, maritime operations are functioning normally, and large-scale assistance to Indian nationals in West Asia is ongoing, even as the situation in the region continues to evolve following disruptions linked to the Strait of Hormuz.

At a regular inter-ministerial briefing held at the National Media Centre, senior officials from the Ministries of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Ports, Shipping and Waterways, and External Affairs outlined coordinated measures to ensure energy security, safeguard shipping routes, and assist Indian citizens abroad.
Officials from the Petroleum Ministry said all refineries are operating at high capacity with adequate crude inventories, maintaining sufficient stocks of petrol and diesel across the country. No instances of fuel shortages have been reported at retail outlets.
Domestic LPG production has been increased by around 40 per cent compared to pre-crisis levels. While LPG supply remains under close watch due to the geopolitical situation, no shortages have been reported at distributorships.
Authorities noted a sharp decline in panic bookings for LPG—from 89 lakh on March 13 to around 55 lakh—indicating improving consumer confidence. Citizens have been advised against panic buying and urged to rely on official updates.
The government has prioritised uninterrupted supply of piped natural gas (PNG) for households and compressed natural gas (CNG) for transport, ensuring 100 per cent allocation to these sectors. Supplies to industrial and commercial users are currently regulated at about 80 per cent.
City Gas Distribution companies have been directed to accelerate PNG connections, especially for commercial establishments such as hotels and restaurants. Incentives are being offered, and states have been urged to expedite approvals for network expansion.
In recent days, over 13,700 new PNG connections have been issued, with more than 7,300 consumers shifting from LPG to PNG, easing pressure on LPG demand.
The Centre has directed states and Union Territories to maintain strict vigilance against hoarding and black marketing under existing legal provisions. Over 4,500 raids were conducted in the past 24 hours, leading to the seizure of around 4,000 LPG cylinders.
Oil Marketing Companies have carried out more than 1,800 surprise inspections at fuel stations and LPG outlets.
Control rooms have been set up in 32 states and UTs, and district-level monitoring committees are operational in 31. States have also been asked to conduct daily press briefings and establish helplines to counter misinformation.
The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways reported that all Indian seafarers in the Persian Gulf region are safe, with no incidents involving Indian-flagged vessels in the past 24 hours.
Currently, 22 Indian-flagged vessels with 611 Indian seafarers remain in the western Persian Gulf. A 24×7 control room has handled over 3,500 calls and nearly 6,750 emails since activation.
More than 513 Indian seafarers have been repatriated so far, including 25 in the last 24 hours.
Ports across India continue to function without congestion, with additional capacity created at key facilities to ensure smooth cargo handling. Measures such as fee waivers and expanded storage have been implemented at select ports to support trade continuity.
The Ministry of External Affairs said the Prime Minister has spoken with leaders of multiple countries, including Oman, Malaysia, France, Jordan and Qatar, emphasising de-escalation, protection of energy infrastructure, and safe navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.
Indian missions abroad remain on high alert, providing round-the-clock assistance. Since February 28, around 3 lakh passengers have returned to India from the region.
The Indian Embassy in Iran has facilitated the evacuation of 913 nationals to neighbouring countries, while all 284 Indian pilgrims stranded there have returned home safely.
Special flight operations continue from several countries, though airspace restrictions persist in parts of the region. Alternative transit routes via Saudi Arabia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Jordan are being used to assist stranded Indians.
The government confirmed that six Indian nationals have lost their lives in recent incidents, with one person still missing. Efforts are underway for repatriation of mortal remains and tracing the missing individual.
Rescue operations have also enabled the return of multiple Indian seafarers, including crew members from distressed vessels.
The government has urged citizens to avoid rumours, refrain from panic bookings, and use digital platforms for LPG services. Consumers have also been encouraged to adopt alternative fuels such as PNG and electric cooking solutions and to conserve energy.
Officials said the situation is being closely monitored, with coordinated efforts continuing across ministries to ensure stability in supplies, safety of Indian nationals, and uninterrupted economic activity.















