SRINAGAR: A selection grade constable of the Jammu and Kashmir Police has been arrested in connection with the killing of a 21-year-old Gujjar youth, Parvez Ahmed, during a police operation in the Sure Chak area under Satwari police station on July 24.
The arrested constable, identified as Pawan Singh, had earlier been suspended along with a Head Constable following the incident. He has now been booked under Section 105 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), which deals with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Parvez’s death triggered widespread outrage and quickly escalated into a political issue, prompting the government to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) as well as a parallel magisterial inquiry. Sources suggest that the SIT found links between Parvez and individuals involved in drug peddling, though no police official has formally confirmed these findings.
According to the police’s initial account on the day of the incident, a team was chasing suspected drug peddlers when it came under fire in the Mandal area of Satwari. “Preliminary reports indicate that the party was fired upon. In cross-firing, one unidentified person got injured and was shifted to GMC Jammu,” the police statement said. The injured man was later identified as Parvez Ahmed, who succumbed to his injuries.
Reacting to the arrest, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said the move was a crucial step toward justice. “The arrest of Pawan Singh in connection with the tragic death of Parvez Ahmed is a reminder that no one, not even those in uniform, is above the law. This sends a strong message that accountability within the police force is not optional,” she remarked.
The case continues to be under investigation, with both the SIT and the magisterial inquiry expected to submit their findings in the coming weeks.















