JKSSB Cancels JE Electrical Exam Amid Paper Leak Allegations, Protests

   

SRINAGAR: The Jammu and Kashmir Services Selection Board (JKSSB) on Sunday cancelled the written examination for the post of Junior Engineer (Electrical) in the Power Development Department, following widespread public uproar and allegations of a paper leak.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

The OMR-based exam, held earlier in the day, was conducted at 35 designated centres across Jammu and Srinagar. According to an official notice issued by the Controller of Examinations, JKSSB, the test was successfully held at 34 venues but could not be conducted at one centre due to weather-related disruptions.

“In view of the circumstances, the Board has decided to cancel the examination conducted on 24.08.2025. The same shall be held afresh and a new date will be notified separately,” the notification reads.

However, beyond the weather-related issues, the cancellation appears to be prompted by allegations of malpractice, including videos circulating on social media allegedly showing students solving question papers in advance of the exam. Several aspirants staged protests outside examination centres, demanding accountability and a transparent recruitment process.

The Office of Aga Syed Ruhullah Mehdi condemned the JKSSB’s handling of the examination, calling it a symptom of systemic failure. In a statement shared on X, the office said, “Aspirants travelled from remote corners of J and K with hope, only to face yet another collapse of the JKSSB system. This is the direct result of a wrecked setup overseen by an unelected and unaccountable establishment.” The statement further criticised the continuation of alleged recruitment scams under the current administration, adding that instead of protecting youth, the government is “banning books, taking over schools,” and failing to address long-pending issues like reservations. “The elected government must rethink its role and approach because the current path is failing our youth and our identity,” it read.

Reacting to the controversy, PDP MLA Waheed ur Rehman Para accused the government of failing the youth. “Scam after scam, and now another SSB paper leak. Students are seen openly trying to solve problems, yet after banning books and locking schools, the government’s sale of exam papers is another blow to J&K’s youth,” Para wrote on social media platform X.

Adding to the growing chorus of criticism, MLA Handwara and JKPPC chairman Sajad Lone termed the incident a “brazen daylight robbery in recruitment,” stating, “We have finally made it. We are top in scams.” In a post on X, Lone described the chaotic conduct of the exam, claiming that aspirants were first asked to leave exam halls after being told the paper was cancelled, while others continued writing. “Then all are asked to come in again. The paper is on social media well before the aspirants are ready to take exam,” he wrote, questioning whether “heads will roll or we’ll be dished out yet another round of third-grade fiction.”

Iltija Mufti, daughter of PDP president Mehbooba Mufti criticised the National Conference-led government over the alleged mishandling of the recruitment process. In a post on X, she said, “Youngsters across J and K placed an overwhelming faith in NC hoping for transparency in recruitment exams after electing them. But I’m appalled at how the NC government is wrecking their future because of their sheer incompetency to even conduct today’s JE Electrical Exam at Kothi Bagh Centre.” She added that rather than ensuring transparency, the paper leak points to a government “fast becoming a den of corruption.”

This is not the first time JKSSB has faced criticism over alleged irregularities in examinations. Earlier recruitment tests have also come under scrutiny, prompting investigations and cancellations.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here