SRINAGAR: Two journalists in the Maldives were arrested and jailed in the second week of May 2026, marking the first time journalists have been imprisoned on criminal charges since the country adopted its democratic constitution in 2008, according to Human Rights Watch.
The rights group urged Maldivian authorities to immediately release journalists Leevan Ali Naseer, 29, and Mohamed Shahzan, 31, describing their detention as arbitrary and part of an escalating crackdown on press freedom.
“The Maldives government’s wrongful jailing of two journalists and raiding of independent news outlets sends a chilling message about media freedom in the country,” said Elaine Pearson. “The government should urgently reverse the dangerous backsliding on media freedom.”
The controversy stems from a documentary titled Aisha, released on March 28 by the online newspaper Adhadhu . The documentary alleged sexual misconduct and abuse of power by Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu against a former employee. President Muizzu has denied the allegations.
On April 27, the Serious and Organised Crime Department raided Adhadhu’s office in Malé, seizing laptops and hard drives belonging to journalists. Authorities later imposed travel bans on _Adhadhu_ CEO Hussain Fiyaz Moosa and managing editor Hassan Mohamed.
On May 10, the Prosecutor General’s Office charged both media officials under Section 612(a) of the penal code for qazf, or false accusation of adultery under Islamic law. The offence carries penalties of up to 19 months in prison and 80 lashes.
The same day, the Criminal Court issued a gag order prohibiting public discussion of the documentary. Two days later, journalists Naseer and Shahzan were convicted and sentenced to 10 and 15 days in prison, respectively, for reporting on the gag order. Both were also fined approximately 26,000 Maldivian rufiyaa (about US$1,700).
Media reports said the two journalists were being held in poor and unsanitary conditions at Maafushi prison. On May 15, prison authorities reportedly transferred Naseer to solitary confinement and denied him medical treatment for a worsening skin condition.
The crackdown triggered protests in Malé by journalists and opposition supporters. Police reportedly obstructed and assaulted demonstrators, arresting 10 people during a May 13 protest organised by the People’s National Front and the Maldives Democratic Party.
On May 19, 13 Maldivian media outlets observed a 12-hour blackout, suspending news coverage in protest against attacks on press freedom.
The Maldives Journalists Association strongly criticised the government’s actions. Its executive director, Mohamed Junayd, said the rapid prosecution of journalists in “secret trials without lawyers” reflected a deliberate attempt to dismantle protections for the media.
Human Rights Watch and other rights organisations had earlier written to President Muizzu on May 8, expressing concern over the targeting of journalists and urging the government to reaffirm its commitment to freedom of expression.
The media crackdown follows the passage of the Maldives Media and Broadcasting Regulation Bill by the People’s Majlis on September 16, 2025. Critics say the law grants the government sweeping powers to regulate and penalise media organisations through the newly established Maldives Media and Broadcast Commission.
Under the legislation, the commission can order correction notices and impose fines ranging from MVR 5,000 to MVR 25,000 on journalists and media workers.
Three former Maldivian presidents, Mohamed Nasheed, Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom and Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, jointly appealed on May 19 for the release of detained journalists and protesters.
In a letter addressed to diplomatic missions and civil society organisations, the former presidents warned that the suppression of the press reflected a broader democratic decline in the Maldives, including the weakening of parliament and independent institutions.
Rights groups also highlighted longstanding threats faced by journalists in the Maldives from Islamist extremist groups that have targeted activists and reporters accused of publishing material deemed offensive to Islam.
“The threat is very real, and it affects how we live our daily lives,” Hassan Mohamed of Adhadhu said, warning that public accusations against journalists in the small island nation can place them at serious personal risk.















