SRINAGAR: In the wake of a militant attack on tourists in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday expressed deep anguish and vowed the “harshest consequences” for the perpetrators. The attack, which targeted civilians in the prime tourist destination in Anantnag district, has claimed multiple lives and left at least 20 others injured.
Taking to social media platform X, Shah said, “Anguished by the terror attack on tourists in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. My thoughts are with the family members of the deceased. Those involved in this dastardly act of terror will not be spared, and we will come down heavily on the perpetrators with the harshest consequences.”
Anguished by the terror attack on tourists in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. My thoughts are with the family members of the deceased. Those involved in this dastardly act of terror will not be spared, and we will come down heavily on the perpetrators with the harshest consequences.…
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) April 22, 2025
Shah added that he had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the incident and had held a video conference with senior officials to assess the situation. He confirmed that he would be travelling to Srinagar shortly to chair a high-level security review with all concerned agencies.
Prime Minister Modi, who is currently in Saudi Arabia, also condemned the attack in the strongest terms. “I strongly condemn the terror attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest. All possible assistance is being provided to those affected,” he posted on X. “Those behind this heinous act will be brought to justice… they will not be spared! Their evil agenda will never succeed. Our resolve to fight terrorism is unshakable and it will get even stronger.”
I strongly condemn the terror attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest. All possible assistance is being provided to those affected.
Those behind this heinous act will be brought…
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 22, 2025
Modi, who landed in Jeddah earlier in the day, is on a diplomatic visit aimed at strengthening ties between India and Saudi Arabia. Despite his international engagements, officials said the Prime Minister has been closely monitoring the situation in Kashmir and has directed the Home Minister to take all appropriate measures on the ground.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, reacting to the incident, said the attack marks a disturbing escalation. “This attack is much larger than anything we’ve seen directed at civilians in recent years,” he posted on X, while noting that the exact death toll was still being ascertained.
I’m shocked beyond belief. This attack on our visitors is an abomination. The perpetrators of this attack are animals, inhuman & worthy of contempt. No words of condemnation are enough. I send my sympathies to the families of the deceased. I’ve spoken to my colleague @sakinaitoo…
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) April 22, 2025
The attack has sent shockwaves through the Valley, especially as it comes during the peak of the tourism season in south Kashmir, a region that had seen a steady return of visitors in recent months. Security agencies have cordoned off the area and launched a manhunt to apprehend those involved.
With the Home Minister en route to the Valley and a top-level security review imminent, officials say strong counter-measures are expected in the coming hours.















