Trump Hosts Netanyahu, Says Gaza Ceasefire Talks ‘Going Very Well’

   

SRINAGAR: US President Donald Trump on Monday said talks to end the war in Gaza are “going along very well,” as he hosted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Trump told reporters that Hamas appeared willing to move forward with a truce. “They want to meet and they want to have that ceasefire,” he said.

The comments come after two rounds of indirect talks between Israel and Hamas in Doha ended without a breakthrough. Negotiations are expected to continue this week, with Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, scheduled to join, according to media reports.

Asked what was holding up the deal, Trump replied, “I don’t think there is a hold-up.”

The two leaders also discussed future relocation plans for Palestinians. Trump claimed cooperation from Israel’s neighbours on the matter. Netanyahu said he was working with the US to identify countries willing to receive Palestinians voluntarily. “If people want to stay, they can stay, but if they want to leave, they should be able to leave,” he said.

The Palestinian presidency has previously rejected such relocation proposals, citing violations of international law.

Netanyahu appeared to rule out full Palestinian statehood, stating that Israel would always maintain security control over Gaza. “Now, people will say it’s not a complete state, it’s not a state. We don’t care,” he added.

During the meeting, Netanyahu also presented Trump with a letter nominating him for the Nobel Peace Prize, praising his efforts in brokering recent Middle East ceasefires.

The White House had initially planned a closed-door meeting, but later allowed media access as the leaders addressed key issues, including hostages and humanitarian aid.

The US-backed ceasefire plan reportedly includes Hamas releasing 10 living hostages and the bodies of 18 dead in five stages over a 60-day period. Israel would be required to release an undisclosed number of Palestinian prisoners and withdraw from parts of Gaza, which it currently controls about two-thirds of.

This marks Netanyahu’s third visit  to the White House since Trump returned to office nearly six months ago, but it is their first since the US joined Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear sites and later mediated a ceasefire between Israel and Iran.

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here